1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Texas Shoot out

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Orvis, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

2. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Here's a dungeon topic:

Should police have access to a .50 MG sniper rifle?

Yeah, shoot this critter. But .50cal in Barney's hands? So, allow that Barney is trained. Should he be? Is that not militarization/excessive?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I have access to .50 cals.

Am I militarized?

4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Are you a municipal police force?

Look. The individual (later) or State (from the Bill of Rights, 'state' within the Union) is supposed to bear arms to be able to resist the tyranny of the Federal Government, so yes, you SHOULD have access to what the Army has. Just like the National Guard/State Militia does ('cept YOU pay for it).

Cops? Not so much, no?

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Are cops, citizens? :Poke:

6. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Are they allowed to use personal gear on duty?

Didn't think so. Pity the cop who shoots a critter with his personal .50 BMG.

7. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Yup. Lots of departments allow that and cops are state-based authorities, not feds.

8. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

OK.

yes. that's part of my point.

9. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Now, the question. Did the guy who blew this Texas (misguided/deranged idiot) man away use his personal .50 BMG sniper rifle?

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Would he be less dead if the .50 was privately owned?

11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Probably not, heard it on the radio this afternoon, police spokesman said they had used their .50 Cal to shoot through the block of the motor. Local SO has a Barrett 50, I got to shoot a few rounds through a car with it one day. They have had it a long time. Funny thing was my rifle and scope were better all of the SO and PD guns and at the time it was a Savage LRP with a vortex PST 6-24.

12. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Not the question.

The question is, should a PD be militarized to the point where they have a weapon proscribed for use against personnel by the Geneva convention, or are the police expected to be so militarized?

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm having a hard time getting my give a fuck gland to activate over a righteous shoot.

And fuck the Geneva Convention. Sovereignty trumps. :moon:

14. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

What did they shoot through the windshield with four hours later?

(I don't know how much longer it was, just that some time passed in the parking lot.)

I am offended by the militarization of the Dallas PD, if it's not clearly coming out. Cops should be armed, OK. But not with Apaches and Hellfires (exaggerating, to make a point).

Anyway, I've made my position. Have fun dungeoning from here.

It really isn't about the righteousness of the shot, Darrin. It's about the exposure of the asymmetrical nature of the police department's resources.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

How is it asymmetrical if I can has a .50 too? :confused:

16. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Hmm. This is really the crux. How many PDs have a .50 BMG, vs how many individuals in the US?

I'm not downplaying your question, Darrin. I'm having a hard time rationalizing a PD to have access - ready access - to such heavy weaponry, in the course of normal duties. I get this wasn't 'normal'.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I bet I have more wire nuts than the local PD has.

And I can guarantee those fuckers don't have a 1-1/4" EMT bender.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'd much rather have the local slack jaws have them than the impeding federal police force...

19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I could sell a bike or three and buy my own .50 Barrett today. I have no problem with the police having access to the same weapons I can get. I expect them to reciprocate.

20. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused here...

Are we arguing about how a bad guy got dead? :confused: