1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rd350 and banshee parts interchangeability?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by britx303, Oct 20, 2019.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Is there really anything that interchanges between these engine,such as the flywheel for example? Or did the rz350 really change that much from the air-cooled RD?

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm not an expert on these motors but have owned both. I don't think anything is interchangeable.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Gotcha. I keep mixing up RD/RZ/Banshee stuff in my noggin' and can never recall what swaps with what. Must just be the air-cooled stuff that interchanges. Thanks

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, RD200, RD350, RD400 share common parts. Or something like that.

5. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

You already have an answer but to add a bit more to your specific question of flywheel compatibility. The crank end taper is different between the air cooled engines(RD200, 350, 400) with the general exception of the '79 and up Canadian, European, and I believe Australian RD400's. These came with CDI and had the same taper as the RZ350 crank.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I believe that the Banshee/RZ crank fits in the RD cases so you can use the CDI (and/or stroke the RD to a larger displacement, but then it's an RD400, so...). I remember reading on one of the 2 stroke forums about someone installing an RZ/Banshee crank in an aircooled RD. Which then leads the discussion to primary drives, clutches, and transmissions. So, I think that there is more info available, but it just needs to be found.

Edit: I found some info, and basically (not surprisingly), I'm "wrong."
    https://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?/topic/136288-rd350banshee-engine/

It looks like you CAN put an RZ/Banshee crank into RD cases, but it requires a fair bit of work. Otherwise the engine families are completely different.

britx303 likes this.
  7. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Pistons, RZ/Banshee pistons work in RD 350/400 with a slight mod. They have a limited life span, especially in a 400.