1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD 400 ignition help

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 512V, Dec 13, 2007.

1. 512V

512V Well-Known Member

Anyone here have a diagram of Martek ignition?Need help sorting coil wires and gap for pickups.
    Thanks,Tom

2. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Never heard of it, is that like an Ultra?

3. 512V

512V Well-Known Member

This system replaces points,but retains charging system for street use.
    Tom

4. 512V

512V Well-Known Member

54 views and nobody but me has ever seen a Martek ignition.
    Tom

5. Demon DS7

Demon DS7 Well-Known Member

Hey Tom,
    Sounds like you're healed up and working on the trio of Rd's again.
    I've seen a Martek ignition. You showed it to me the last time i was over there!! :D :D
    You can call me a SmartA$$ now!

6. 512V

512V Well-Known Member

I called you a Smarta$$ long before this.Hard to believe only people younger than 60 visit the vintage board.
    I should hang the Martek on a CB350 and wait for 20 people to answer.
    Tom

7. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Member

Sort of similar to a newtronics. A friend of mine is running it on his streetbike. I don't know much about them but there are 2 or 3 experts that hang out over on the usa2strokers board. You might want to ask over there. Good luck.

http://usa2strokers.com/forum/default.asp

8. ACEdoug

ACEdoug New Member

RD400 Ignition Help

Last December, there were posts regarding Martek ignitions and RD400's. Most involved member 512V. I need help in both of these areas. I'm searching for a wiring diagram for a 1979 Yamaha RD400 and the instructions for a Martek 1000 to be mounted on the same bike. I can be reached at [email protected].
    Doug

9. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

I have a Martek 1000 on my street RD400 and I have an instruction sheet for it. I can copy the instruction sheet for you if you wish. E-mail me at [email protected].
    Lyn Garland

10. rus23

rus23 Misfit

Check this out

http://www.oldrice.com/Martek.html

I am planning on building a 75 rd 350 for the street this winter and would like to avoid using points. Other than this, are there any other systems that will charge a batt and make a spark?

11. ROSKO

ROSKO the dirty Knacker

does this help??
    [​IMG]

12. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Hey Rusty, the MZ-B is available from economy cycle and HVC, there is a street version with charging coils and a race only. Not cheap but should be a quality unit.

Mitch

13. rus23

rus23 Misfit

not cheap?

Cheap is my middle name. :up:

WIll you be at summit?

14. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

No Summit for me, if I didn't know better I would say my wife got a copy of the Northeast WERA schedule and made plans every time there has been a race this year.

15. rus23

rus23 Misfit

Silly Boy

Hide the schedule and take no crap from the wife,

(I'm struggling to make 3 races this year).

Back to ignition,

How bad are the points for street use, I have only ever used magneos for these bikes. Maybe a wind turbine to charge a battery?

16. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

I used points on my Yamaha RDs for years. Both race (D Production) and street bikes. Now I use electronic ignitions on the race bikes and I have a Martek on my street 400 and points on my street 250. There is nothing wrong with the points on RDs. They take maintenance when you race with them, a lot of attention setting points clearance and timing, but very little when used on the street unless you are a very high mileage rider. My Martek system is great. Newtronics suck. They work for a while then quit and you can't find the reason and you go nuts. The new MZb system with the battery charger is very nice, electronic and high quality, and about $625 or $650 the last time I checked. For a street bike that is a lot of money. If you have a bad street ignition system I have several, and I'm sure that are others out there too, that I'll sell you that are in great shape.
    Lyn Garland

17. rus23

rus23 Misfit

Thanks

Thanks Lyn, I'll let you know.

Rus