1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC51 Racer roll call

Discussion in 'General' started by IB723, Nov 16, 2013.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Amen.....and he had no problem letting EVERYONE know about it either, so what if it was an RC51 specific forum! :crackup:

How's that saying go, 'If you can't beat them, .......' :D

What didn't you like about it, be specific! Inquiring minds want to know!

Would you guys believe I STILL have my '00 RC51? I did one race weekend on it in Daytona and a half dozen trackdays when I decided I needed something else, put her back in stock trim, sold most of the goodies (suspension) and she just sits in my shed waiting for it's resurrection one day. :rolleyes:

I don't care what all the haters say, it IS one of the sweetest sounding bikes ever!

2. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I feel compelled to post anytime there's an RC51 thread...

I had an '03 with an Akra Evo system.... the sound... oh the sound. Never did take it to the track though.

I still think it's an amazing looking bike, even today. I'd grab one again for street-use, but people still want an arm and a leg for them.

3. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

'Cause they're worth it. :D

4. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

:up:

5. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

I'll never forget when I first took mine (still a streetbike, then) on a little ride downtown - and set off a couple of car alarms as I rode by the parked cars. :cool:

6. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

You can make them handle pretty well, they are reliable, and they are tanks. They are just not that fast anymore. In my opinion, they are a great track day bike (a blast to ride), not a great race bike. BTW, I loved the big tank on that bike, a lot to hang off of... There are some things you can do to make them a little more comfortable on the street as well (Spiegler bar riser conversion, seat, rearsets).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  7. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

There's one locally on Criagslist for 2g.

8. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Link?

9. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

10. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

They pulled the ad. :(

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Love the bike. I probably was one of the first bikes to roll on the streets. I put a deposit way, way in advance. When I first got the bike I was 140lbs. The bike's handling went progressively worse as I gained weight. The bike just ran wide on me.

I finally changed the set up, lower the front, Kyle clip-ons and rear link. And lost some weight (me), and took it to Jennings. I had a new set of Dun-few-laps. I the funnest time ever on a bike for the first session. Second session, third lap, I went deep on the break on another rider on turn 8, front slid a bit, got on the gas to get away from the rider I had just pass and I lost the rear, banged the face shield of the windshield. All, I remember is telling myself to keep it out of the the grass. I rode the edge of the track and nailed the brakes to tighten up on nine. How I did this. I have no clue. I went to apologize to the rider. And, we laughed about it.

For the rest of the day, I could ride up to a limit but the tires would just slip and slide. Still a fun day but never really pushing or learning more.

I later traded the bike for an Aprilia SVX550 under the condition that I would get first dib on the RC if it ever went back on the market. That offer was never extended.

An RC will probably be back in the stable.

12. WESTAIR.TECH

WESTAIR.TECH Member

RC 51

I have a couple, not sure if its just gonna be another slingshot 750 in a couple years or not. After not being on the track for years,(r6/sv) got some race bodywork,and some supercorsas and the bike felt pretty awesome. But yes a little short on power down the straight. slipper clutch is a big bonus. Wana keep it but an 1199 would be nice to. Or maybe rsv4? All big twins are pretty heavy anyhow right? Read the rc engine weighs 180lb. Anyone have a full exhaust for one of these rc"s?

Attached Files: