1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC51 honda vs sv1000

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pfhenry, Jan 17, 2019.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

could this be a nod of the bill to suzuki?

anyone familiar with the handling of both?

i've ridden an rc51 bone stock and i wasn't blow away

..i have a 650 now and was just wondering if the 1000 sv has a massive following like the 650... and if its just easier(also prob cheaper) to mod a sv1000 over the rc51

i mean look at the set of cans of this one lol
    00u0u_bBxAywlTdbr_1200x900.jpg

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

TLR FTW....... And those cans weigh about 45Lbs.... Whatever you choose go for a full aftermarket exhaust. You looking for something to race or just street?

fastedyamaha and pfhenry like this.
  3. pfhenry

i meant which one would handle better / be faster with a few grand in it...

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

The TL and RC-51 are about the same. The SV Less Power.. All 3 Don't handle well compared to new bikes with good geometry. .

track wagon and pfhenry like this.
  5. pfhenry

project.... i like how front heavy the bias feels in my sv... i would like an inverted fork with extension and a proper shock... been big on the naked (if i need a turkey pan for oil ill get one) thing recently.

I'll most likely get a multistrada 1100s ducati and do zero suspension work and just this fairing delete and clip ons... it cant be that dirt bike setup

scrambled multistrada.jpg

6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I never rode a RC51 but I raced a SV1000 for four years so I know a bit about them. For modding there are lots of Suzuki 600/750/1000 parts that swap in and if I remember right, you could do USD forks that way easily. I've raced 650's too, and the 1000 felt like a 650 that was bulked up on steroids. Faster and plenty of straight line stability, but is would never be as nimble as a 650. It was more of a specialty bike so there never was the aftermarket parts availability like the 650 has.

pfhenry likes this.
  7. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Not once have I ever had someone tell me how sweet their SV1000 was. Rc51's all the time. TL's are talked about online at least. SV1000's, not a word except questions from people who are thinking about them.

Sean Mah and TLR67 like this.
  8. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Mine sure sounded sweet with a Yosh 2 into 1 race system. In reality it was a good bike, and Suzuki paid me to race it. The other twins just got faster and faster over time.

TLR67 and pfhenry like this.
  9. pfhenry

more concerned about how it takes corners than speed... the rc51 felt chunky and dull when i rode it stock. but i do like nice mapping with headwork and race gas also... hehehe

10. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I have a SV1000S to sell you if that's what you decide. I haven't ridden an RC51 so can't compare the handling. If I keep it, will probably convert the front end into more like the naked version as I prefer a little more upright riding position for the street. Would be more easily converted to a track bike.

11. pfhenry

thanks but i'm not ready to pull on the cash tree yet... i know bodywork(paint, filler, fiberglass, space carbon)

just curious, what kind of piggy back FI do you have?

12. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Power Commander IIIusb . It's a bit dated now.

pfhenry likes this.
  13. G2G

G2G I feel the need

TLR over the RC, RC over the SV 1000. Sv 1000 is a big turd.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I mean, the SV1000 never won any WSBK or AMA Superbike Championships....the RC51 has.

And if you go here you can read up on pretty much all there is to do to the RC51:
    http://www.rc51.org
    http://www.rc51.org/mod.htm

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It's almost as if you live under a rock...or in your Mom's basement :D

The SV1K is a slightly modernized version of the TL1000, which was more akin to the Superhawk than the RC51. They're all slow pigs to varying degrees. If you're shopping in that price range for older twins I suggest looking at Aprilias.

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

^^^^TL1000S not the R

17. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Probably shouldn't this while I have an SV1000 for sale, but I'd rather have my old Aprilia Falco. Great power and handling and looked pretty slick. Probably not as many mods available though. It wasn't very popular here. Probably only saw 2 or 3 in the wild ever.
    falco3.jpg

Phl218 likes this.
  18. pfhenry

another comparison i thought of was the 848... ever since i rode that i've wanted a ducati.... (riding another buddies 748 helped that too) i imagine the 848 would smoke a sv1000 in a road race.

too many twins not enough money... the 1098 would be fun too.

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Depends on rider....each bike has its advantages

20. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

848 is a purpose built sport bike where the sv1 is more of a sport touring bike in its stock form. I think same rider on both bikes would go faster on the 848. Same situation i think same rider on any modern 600 would probably be faster then the sv1k. Nothing against sv's (all of them) i love love love those bikes but i know where they land in the pecking order.