1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rats in attic... and question for insulation guys

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 26, 2020.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

What's is gonna cost me to get them gone?

INSULATION:
    Newer construction home with blown in insulation. There is zero insulation over the garage and my garage gets HOT since the afternoon sun hits the uninsulated garage door. Isn't all that heat in my garage just going right up to the attic keeping it hotter up there?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The attic over your house is probably the same temp as over the garage since blown insulation is usually on the ceiling.

3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

peak venting, let the attic breathe! Ski

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

So I am assuming an attached garage and they have a common attic space correct???

yes heat from the garage is going thru the drywall and into the attic. If your attic is well vented (ridge and sofffit vents?) it may not make any difference. Are the garage walls insulated?

you can buy foam board sheets and glue them to the inside of the door to help with the heat. Add some insulation above the garage and it may stay a much nicer temperature in there.

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Mice/Rats don't like mothballs. Spend $40 and chuck a bunch of them everywhere up there.
    I had mice in my garage when the nearby school was being renovated and the colonies migrated.
    Chucked in some mothballs around any/all possible entrances, and haven't seen them since.

Razr likes this.
  6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Yes attached garage, it's a new construction home so ridge vents etc. Was just strange to see insulation everywhere and it just stops at the edge of the garage. I assumed the builder just cheaped out since it didn't have to be there for code. 3 walls are CB construction. I'm wondering if heat in the garage is keeping the attic hot into the evening

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Isnt there a fire wall between the garage attic and the house attic?

Rats in your house? Burn it down.

8. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Put a black snake up there, end of rats.

Kev59 likes this.
  9. joec

joec brace yourself

But then you have snake shit everywhere

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not likely. The attic will absorb heat as long as the outside is warmer than in and radiate it out as soon as the temps reverse. Insulation on the ceiling does not keep your attic cooler. Foam or other type of insulation is the only way yo keep the attic from wide temp swings. Mechanical ventilation will keep it cooler, at the cost of the electricity to run the fans.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I just wanna say I’ve had “Generation Landslide” by Alice Cooper stuck in my head since reading that title. Bastard.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

[Queue Music] Round and Round...Well love will find a way just give it time......[/Queue Music]

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:stupid:

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The smell of mothballs gives me boot camp flashbacks, though... :confused:

15. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

"I'll tell you why...."

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I had some in my shop and set traps at first...I was getting a couple a day. Then it would stop for a few days and mouse poop started showing up again. I bought some of the poison that you throw on the ground and they carry back to their nest...haven't seen a sign of them since early summer. I stuck some in my attic too just in case.

17. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

You could build a Redneck mouse trap for less than $20. Bucket, dowel rod , and peanut butter. Works like a champ.

eb641c8a79498e6bd122b2b117cbfbf5.jpg

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ben, the two of us need look no more
    We both found what we were looking for
    With a friend to call my own
    I'll never be alone
    And you my friend will.

19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

STOP THE INTERNET !! We have the winner !!

TurboBlew and R1M370 like this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

So all life isn't precious.