1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Thread of the Week - Reclining Sofas

Discussion in 'General' started by kiggy74, Dec 15, 2018.

1. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Wife and I are shopping to replace our 10 yr old sectional with a powered reclining sofa. Sectional is still in good shape, it looks better than it sits though - not very comfortable.

There's a ton of reclining sofas on the market, we've priced options out at least 4 times now. We've yet to pull the trigger mostly because we're cheap, but also because we're not sure about having powered furniture. You buy this stuff hoping it lasts at least 10, maybe 20 years. That seems far less likely when they plug into the wall, have motors and mechanisms, and have USB ports.

Anyone got a powered reclining sofa that can share a high mileage review?

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Not a high milage review, because we have only had it for a couple of years and are only at that house for a couple of months a year, but I love it. It is a leather power recliner and it is so nice to just work the rocker switch and relax. It is very comfortable and I can sleep nicely in the reclined position. We are also very cheap and just waited til it went on sale.

3. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Same here. We have had ours for about 5 years now. It was not one of the most expensive but also not the cheapest. Came from Ashley's home furnishings. We absolutely love it and will be very sad when one of the linear actuators finally craps out. There is no way to extend the footrest and recline without it. I'm hoping I'll be able to find parts when the day does come.

The outlet in the middle console is handy for keeping the phone charged. I fall asleep in this thing way more than i should.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

We got a couple of the powered recliners a few years back, but opted to do the mechanical recline in the matching sofa and whatever the two seat version with the armrest/console in the middle is called.
    I use them both, there are pros and cons to both.
    The power is cool, and having the USB charger built in right there is nice. But the mechanical recline function is much faster, more convenient overall when wanting to get up fast, or kick right back.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Powered sofa? Geezus. The ass-print is gonna get huge. :D

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

We've had a mechanical leather Lazy Boy for about 10 years. My spot (a la Sheldon) is getting pretty worn out.

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Had reclining sofa and loveseat for years. Just replaced with sofa with a chaise and huge chair (I guess that makes it a loveseat), and got a couple of ottomans. Much happier with this.

8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

After working in the furniture industry years ago, I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. There's only a handful of places I'd buy furniture from anymore. Haverty's is where I ended up getting my reclining sofa. That said, La-Z-Boy and Bassett are two others.

9. Chaise lounge and a lazboy (or your choice) of proper reclining chair. I think that’s pretty much only thing in the house that’s mine. Also get one with at least USB ports and mine has a little compartment you can stash the remotes in, snacks, your weed, whatever. Some have fridges but that’s a bit much even for me. They need to come up with a system that has a built in urinal.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have a sectional with two manual sections (one is a chaise/recliner) and one powered - only issue with the powered one so far is it doesn't recline as far back as the others do. Got ours from Rooms To Go, forget which collection and no clue on who actually made it.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's what I was thinking. I want to get up, not be slowly lifted into place like i'm a 90 year old in a hospital bed or one of those lift chairs.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It doesn't take that long and is actually nicer than the manual for being able to adjust the amount of lean if you're sick/injured.