1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain Tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by xTomKx, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I was there and crashed nearly 2 hours into my stint (probably the same corner you and others crashed in). Unless you crashed on the first 2 laps warmers had zero to do with it. That place has wildly inconsistent wet grip (didn't always).

2. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Sounds like you were in the endurance? I was doing the sprints on sunday but rain is rain. Whatever the case may be I know when the time comes to race in the rain I'll get at it again. I just remember running at Nelsons Ledges one summer and it rained almost every weekend and I kind of welcomed it.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yes, endurance on the hot pink sv. I usually do better in the rain, I just hate the days that start dry and get wet or vice versa. I'd welcome a steady rain for the gnf 4 hour (preferably at 70+ degrees)

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

So I went to the MX Des Nations at Red Bud Oct 6 & 7 and discussed rain tire temps with one of my former RR colleagues that is now in the off road segment. He said that typically a Pirelli rain tire is running around 125f to about 145f in average wet conditions. And of course there is nothing average when it's raining because of the many variables, like the ever changing ambient and or track temps.

And MX Des Nations was a blast and it was the first time I've ever gone to one, 85K plus people, crazy weather, and a bunch of wacky Americans showing their colors in the rain in southern Michigan. The bad news was the US team got smoked by the Euros.

Here are Pirelli results for the 3 Motos.
    Moto 1 Pirelli got 1st, 2nd, & 3rd
    Moto 2 Pirelli got 1st & 3rd
    Moto 3 Pirelli got 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, & 7th
    Maybe the difference for the Euros was their tire choice?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018