1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain Tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by suspect74, Jan 27, 2010.

1. suspect74

suspect74 Well-Known Member

Looking for some feedback on rain tires. I'm a newer track rider with around 10 days under my belt running in intermediate/advanced depending on the org. I plan on doing a lot more days this year and was wondering if rain tires were worth it. First off... water scares the crap out of me... and second,
    I would hate to have a day ruined by rain.

So the question is... would it be better to spend said money on wheels/tires/etc and is the traction that much better with rain tires? Or get better (smoother/comfortable) in the wet? or both? [thanks Terry]

Also... I'm still running pilot powers on the track...
    Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

2. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

rain tires are - THE SHIT!

3. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

I feel it's worth it to have a set of rain rims/ tires. Yes, the traction in the wet is that much better over DOT's or anything else for that matter but I wouldn't run them in anything other than the wet (not damp, wet) or you'll find yourself quickly buying a new set.

Water is nothing to be scared of. Embrace it because it's a great time to practice being smooth. One thing I like to tell people is that 'rain keeps a rider honest'.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yup.. If there is standing water, or if there is constant spray comming off the tires of bikes on track you need rain tires. The grip is crazy. Riding in the rain takes a bit different approach than going all out on a dry track with fresh rubber. If your going to race the full season, try to find a cheap 2nd set of wheels and have rains already mounted on em. You can always sell them later, so it isn't "wasted" money.

5. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I'd definitely spend the money on a set of rains. I actually like to ride in the rain, it's not that bad once you get used to it.

6. maidenamerica71

maidenamerica71 expect the unexpected

Rain tires and success

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4277227&id=530231310

Brandon Bones from Studio 819 snapped this during the Michelin Race (#6) at Barber this past OCT. This was not pretty, by any means.
    The front straight is horrible in the rain. (a streaming river with a many ponds in between islands of asphalt.)

I lost my front brakes early in the race, so my marks were off. I needed those rains to stick. they did. rather well.

:crackup: they also held up during a quick drive thru of T5's sand pit. Nice lil rooster tail for the squid moment.

IMO: spare wheel set with rain tires a must.

7. MELK-MAN

I remember watching some of the Barber Michelin events from the tower. It was a CRAZY monsoon out there. All the guys and gals really stuck it out. I saw some of the biggest roosts from water ever.. like in that pic. Good stuff!
    Only so much water can be displaced by the rain sipes, but DOT tires or slicks would have been hydroplaining WAY more. The many rain sipes and softer compound of rain tires enable it to heat up more. A DOT or slick would never have enough force on it while trying to get around to get any heat in the tire. The rain tire has less actual "rubber" on the pavement thus what is in contact moves around a bit and warms, like when you take a rubber band held with both hands and move it real fast about 20 times.. (best example i can come up with..)

8. graham

graham Guest

It rained there to :D,really wish i could have made it :mad:

9. mumbles

mumbles Well-Known Member

any brand better than another. Mich, pirelli, etc...?

10. MELK-MAN

Im guessing they all work cause there are fast rain riders on all brands, and the tires even almost look the same now. I like that Michelin has a couple different tread patterns to choose from on the fronts, a block type (almost flat track tire look) and the grooved sipes you would expect to see that looks like the rear. Some riders prefer the block pattern on the front tire..

Wanna start a HUGE debate? Warmers on them or no. I use warmers for about 15min or so before i go out.

11. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I love the Bridgestone rains.

12. twilkinson3

twilkinson3 see god...brake....

Get the rains - had my first opportunity to use my set last season - saved my bacon a couple times...and a nice gent I know put it best - use the right equipment for the conditions...after all would you use a plastic bag as opposed to a c)(*&^ ? NO? didn't think so...rains for rain, PP etc for dry

PS yes those rains saved my bacon once that day....

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Nah. Not necessary. :D

14. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

I think Greg uses a sump pump in his belly pan to extract water and it sprays a fine mist on his tires..so thats why he can use warmers, the guy is a genius.:D

15. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

rain tires are awesome! just dont run them on a drying track or you will be hating life after 2 laps

16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

:stupid:

17. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

:crackhead:

We're getting spam in the actual threads now, they're not just sticking to making their own threads. Sneaky little bastards.

18. MELK-MAN

that is something i don't get accused of often..:crackup: