1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain race over-suits

Discussion in 'General' started by sbk1198, Apr 7, 2018.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Any other good options for rain over-suits besides the Alpinestars and the RS-Taichi ones? The A-stars is $230 and seems to be out of stock in a lot of places. The RS-Taichi is $170. Haven't checked availability on that one in too many places, but it also kinda looks like a huge body condom lol...aside from wrapping yourself in plastic trash bags what other options are there for this?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Get wet, let dry, use it as an excuse to oil your leathers. Rinsing them every so often is a good thing.

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

^^^ This.

4. sbk1198

I've only raced in the rain twice before, and the 2nd time I didn't put anything over the suit. Naturally got completely soaked. It sucked. I even skipped out on the other race I had later in the day because I didn't want to put on a soaking wet suit lol...so I'd rather avoid that if possible. I don't mind getting a little wet, but completely soaked from neck to feet sucks.

5. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Tommy & Susan and sbk1198 like this.
  6. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I've done it too, in 42 degree rainy/snowy Grattan Spring weather. Didn't take them off. Just covered up a lot b/w races. It is indeed hard to get off/on. I can't remember if I got sick later or not, but for sure, you get pretty dang cold!!!

JBall likes this.
  7. I’ve only used the two you mentioned, but IMO they are worth it.

If I only have one race left, or 2 and they are back-to-back, then I’ll just get wet and not worry about it.

But if it’s early in the day and I’ve still got several hours and races to go, I’ll wear the oversuit (or at least the jacket part of it).

Another option is to have a spare suit so you can put a dry one on. Or at least have spare undersuits and socks so you can change them.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hefty hefty hefty.....

9. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

lots of rain gear for road riding you can use over leathers...one or two piece versions.

sdiver and Gorilla George like this.
  10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

It was 34 degrees here at Cresson today. We ended up canceling the endurance race based on safety. If we would have run, a rain suit would have been nice.

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I used a $20 hunting rain suit from Wal-Mart for years.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. That’s a good point. Most suits are perforated, so some wind blockage can come in handy when it’s super cold.

I’ve never done it. But it makes sense. I keep a thick, long sleeve turtle neck in the RV and I put it on under my suit when it’s real cold.

13. sbk1198

So do you have a preference between the A-stars and the RS-Taichi since you said you've used both? Did one work/fit better than the other? Also, is it worth getting the pants too or would you say the jacket is enough?

In my case, from last year at Road America my race in downpouring rain was around 10:30-11:00 and my next one would've been at like 3:00 pm. So I didn't wanna be soaked for that long and I took it off, and didn't want to put it back on since it was still soaked a few hours later lol I like the spare suit idea, but I don't have a 2nd suit at the moment. I plan on getting a custom made one that fits a bit better at some point later this season, but that will be a few more months. I think a rain over-suit will come in handy no matter what.

14. If you are just going to get the jacket, then I’d go with Alpinestars. It has a longer back that goes down lower, with a flap that wraps underneath you. It will help keep your ass and junk drier.

That is more than sufficient. The pants are aggravating for me to deal with.

sbk1198 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah when it's cold that's an entirely different thing.

What in the world are you doing at Cresson?

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Trying to race. Place is vexed for us. Last year (August_ it was 97/90 (T/RH) and yesterday 34/100. People were coming in with ice crystals on their leathers. I estimated windchill in the teens at race speeds. I like Texas and all, but shee-yit.

17. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

For sure some crazy weather. We've been cold and wet all winter this year and it just does not want to let go yet...race safe!

18. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

I use the same thing. Doesn't flap in the wind. With such a high crash risk, nice that they're inexpensive. Fits well over my leathers, I just fold the hood into the back.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ick. Should have come to ACS, gorgeous so far :D