1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radios for rider to pit comunication

Discussion in 'General' started by Gumby647, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

We are going to have to run radios this year so I thought I'd ask on here since there are probably a few people that have experience using radios on a race bike.
    Basically I'm looking for the major do's and don'ts. We will only have one test before Daytona to sort a system out and I'd like to get it right the first time.

2. RacerRuss

RacerRuss Well-Known Member

This struck me as another retarded requirement when I read it. I was wondering how people would make this work. There's the Chatterbox, I have one of those on my street bike helmet, probably works fine on touring bikes with windshields, but sucks on a sportbike due to the wind noise. Just the wind noise and engine noise would seem to make this nearly impossible.

It will probably have to be an AMA/DMG endorsed unit, so you may want to check with them to see what they had in mind when they wrote the rule. Maybe a cell phone in your pocket with auto answer and a bluetooth headset?

3. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

http://www.speedcomracing.com/

They handled most of the teams teams radios for the (now defunct) Moto-ST/GT teams. They also provide at the track support and can help you sort out everything, whether it's a basic rider to pit set-up, or a complex network of communications within the pits and multiple riders.

4. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

Who's we?

5. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

"We" are anyone running AMA Superbike in 2010.

Thanks on the Speedcom link. I knew there was someone at the track track last year but I couldn't remember if it was Speedcom or Autocom.

Looking around it seems most of the setups I see use ear bud style headphones with only the mic being built into the helmet. Does anyone mount the speakers in the helmet for a rider that doesn't normally wear ear plugs?
    Are there any problems with electrical noise from the engine. The most convenient place for me to mount the radio is pretty close to the motor.

6. MotorSWATCop

MotorSWATCop Former Trackday Turd

Why not a portable unit on the rider? There are many radios that have the range capability that you would encounter at Daytona or any other track. That would eliminate any tethering of rider to bike. Our tactical radios can give us 12 hours of use on a charge and battery changes take like 2 seconds. You can make a system w/ VOX if necessary. PTT would be best in my opinion. look at Motorola's site.

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Their website is puking SQL errors.

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

We've been running radios for 4 years now.
    Biggest problem is changing helmet equipment when riders do not have second helmets, and don't keep it in for sprints.
    Not sure if he's still doing it, but we got all of our equipment from Chris Knight,
    who is a WERA racer from Michigan.

9. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

The long track kits works great. You cant beat the price. Get extra sets of the foam earplugs.
    http://www.discountracingradios.com/
    We have used sets avail. Along with a few Endurance SV's.
    Hit me up if you want.

10. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Are you guys mounting the radios to the bike or rider?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Radio goes to the bike. Then with easily disconnected plugs to the rider. No need to add the weight to the rider.

12. Parkerson

Parkerson Kabahm

"Hey Gary, you should walk over to turn five and check out this chick on the fence" :Poke: Good ol' radio.

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

You should be on the receiving end, translating what Martin was trying to tell me :p

14. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

Huh?:rolleyes:

15. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Most of the racing setups I've seen use foam earplugs with speakers in them. Most setups that people use on Goldwings and the such mount small speakers in the helmet. I was looking for feedback on the latter setup when used for racing since the rider in question doesn't like to wear ear plugs.

16. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

A few years of racing without earplugs and your only communications option will be American Sign Language!;)