1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing at Thunder Hill with AFM (Help)

Discussion in 'General' started by MicahSa15, Aug 26, 2014.

1. MicahSa15

MicahSa15 Well-Known Member

Me and few buddies from WMRRA want to make the trip to Thunder Hill this October for some racing.

It would be a first time for all of us so I am looking for tips and wisdom on how to make the trip as smooth as possible.

2. amartin

amartin Well-Known Member

Thunderhill is an awesome facility and the AFM is an awesome club. They have their program dialed. For prep, it's no different than racing anywhere else except I usually leave my generator and rains at home. Other than the long drive from WA, be prepared to have a great time.

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Micah,

You may want to check with Fuzzy or Barry and see what tips they can give you about AFM.

Alternatively, you could also contact EDR in Portland and ask them about what to expect there.

Have fun!

4. MicahSa15

Good tips.

Do I need to engage with anyone at AFM before I sign up to let them know I'm from a different club?

Any hotel / lodging recommendation near the track?

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Weather in Oct. is usually pretty damn fine. I usually camp at the track; hotels in Willows are all basically on par and typical of I5 stops -- they work, but are very basic.

If you are looking for tips to the track, I am pretty sure Ken Hill has turn-by-turn video somewhere, and Tim Scarrott (AFM board member and fast guy) has some similar material. Go over to the Racers Corner section on BARF and ask specific questions -- folks are a good bunch. Contact licensing to get a half-season reciprocity license ($45) -- form is here.

7. MicahSa15

Will do. Thanks!

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Good club, and great people. There is a race team that actually cooks food Saturday night and you can register and prepay for your meal. Fantastic way to hang out with a bunch of people and eat great food and have great beer.

They don't race in the rain. They have a requirement on how many DB's your generator can be. If it isn't a quiet inverter type, you may have to pit in the back 40. They sell fuel at the track and the tire vendors will be there to support you. They have license reciprocity with many clubs.

There is a Walmart in Willows, hotels and a fantastic Mexican restaurant, which the name escapes me now.

9. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

The Casa Ramos perhaps? Maybe not "fantastic" but pretty darn good nonetheless. :)

For breakfast there is the Black Bear Diner (across the street from Casa Ramos). Or better yet, the Airport Cafe. It's just around the corner, up the road going towards the track and next to the little municipal airport. :up:

I've got nothing but great things to say about both T-hill and AFM. Have a good time!

10. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

11. caferace

caferace No.

Oh ... and be prepared for heat. It's a dry heat, but it can be damn hot.

Are they going to use the full track, all five+ miles?

-jim

12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It will be in October so the weather should be perfect. They won't be using the full track. The new parts are more like Reno-Fernley, tight, narrow and instead of rocky runoff they've added walls and corner worker stations in impact zones. :D