1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raceday Practice

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by RoidRageFool, Jan 7, 2022.

1. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

Looking through the Rule Book and New Racer Handbook, along with a search, I am able to see how the weekend would take place.

2 Quick Questions:

1. Are there only 2 (15 Minute) rounds of practice in the morning?
    2. If one is only registered for races on Sunday, could they still complete two practice sessions on Saturday?

Just trying to plan accordingly based on classes and tracks of which I have never ridden.

Thank you

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

#1 - They usually try for 2 rounds of practice, but that depends on if everyone behaves and local regulations. For example: there is a quiet time on Sunday at Road Atlanta (and many other tracks), so there is normally only 1 round of practice on Sunday.

#2 - mostly yes

RoidRageFool likes this.
  3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Race weekend practices are more of a warmup than actual practice. The sessions are short and you'll get maybe 4-5 laps when you consider the time lost on the out lap and checkered flag. If it's a double header weekend, the first practice session is usually rushed by the time you deal with registration, tech, and allowing 45 min of tire warmer time before rolling out to a relatively cold track since it's so early in the AM. The second sessions is usually pretty decent, you knocked off the cobwebs and track temps are usually a bit warmer and your pace is closer to your race pace, hence me saying they're more of a warm up than actual practice. The sessions are too short and there's not enough time to main substantial changes to your bike as you don't know if it's a positive or negative change...because you're not riding the bike at pace. Maybe you're one of those guys that can go out and on the first flying lap, be within half a second of race pace...but nearly 10 years of WERA, and I have yet to be able to do that.

4. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

Appreciate the response. We have had plenty of quit hours on Sunday at various tracks in the South. I'm glad you reminded me of this.

Thank you. I am glad you gave me some details on this. I am trying to get a feel for how it would go. I have been to all of the of the tracks on my calendar except for Talladega GP. However, It appears that SportBike Track Time is having a track day on the Friday before. Although I have never ridden with them, I will, just to get a feel for the track.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Tally..Barber…CMP…Road Atlanta definitely ly have quiet time Sun AM….

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Other than Road Atlanta they're all covered by our normal lunch hour, sometimes affects when I have to schedule it but it isn't any longer.

7. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

Would the practice sessions be enough to get acclimated for a race weekend at a track I’ve never ridden? Somewhere like Roebling or Talledega?

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

All depends on your definition of acclimated… but I would say yes… Barber no…

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Acclimated enough to race safely - absolutely. Enough to truly learn the track? Even a full day doesn't do that :D

Boman Forklift, Quick6RR and DmanSlam like this.
  10. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Agreed...especially in regards to @Quick6RR 's question above.

Quick6RR likes this.
  11. Rance Taylor

Rance Taylor Well-Known Member

Do yall tech on friday evening? Will you have tech open @Barber friday July the 28th

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends - on huge events like the GNF we try to, honestly same for Barber, but not sure yet how many officials can make it or when especially with a lot of us doing VMD the weekend prior.

Rance Taylor likes this.