1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Strategy?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tracee Polcin, Dec 20, 2000.

1. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Dude, you truly are impossible. You can't even take a gracious gesture without being a wiseguy. (insert appropriate smilie thing of your choice here)

JU

[This message has been edited by julrich (edited 12-22-2000).]

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

3. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Leave it to me and I derail anything...

4. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Because I like to talk smack, just like the rest of y'all. But, I seem to get under everyones skin. Here's the scoop on ted and myself. Ted races the motorcycle and I do the PR crap.
    I have my sponsors dialed into this BBS, just so they can see the what type of press I am generating for the team. There's nothing personal about my comments.. Usually I do not mention my partners name.. I attempt, such as in this thread, to discuss the regional wins verses the wins at the GNF and R.O.C. Here are my comments regarding the topic.. tell me where I mention my partners name.. IDid you ever give any of your sponsors the trophies or the woodies from you regional wins ? Most likely not. So the trophies are for your liking, not the sponsors. The sponsors could care less about the trophies, the woodies, the contengency $$$ that you earn. They want a Champion... Throughout the season the regional wins and the national wins are great, but if you do not produce when it counts (GNF, R.O.C) then you have missed the boat, along with the potential sponsorship dollars for the next year. Sponsors like to brag, "I sponsored a race team that ended up with X# of Championships." Period end of story.

Oh Yeah 1 more thing... Sponsors like to see there interest finish all the races, not be carted in on the back of some truck. So, if you have a sponsor who is giving Cash or a Free product --- Wear their stickers. Companies who attach a sticker with their product (that you paid full price for) - throw that sh^t away. Don't clutter your bike with stickers, you are taking away prime realestate from your paying sponsors.
    Max McAllister told me a longtime ago "Your bike is a rolling billboard, a potential $$$ getter.THOSE THAT DO NOT PAY - DO NOT RIDE.".
    It is usually someone else making a derrogatory comment about my partner that gets me on the explaination bandwagon. enough said... I'm trying to help y'all get sponsorship. I have been lucky to get sponsorship since day 1 (with or without a partner). Tracee can attest to this statement..

5. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Hey Steve, On an aside what does TSR stand for again? Everytime I see it I think its "Two Scoops of Raisins." lol

Were you at the Summit Point National? I think I was set up right next to you.

Ryan

6. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

hey bone head... check his profile.. Tight Squeeze Racing
    [​IMG]

7. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Thanks for the explanation, Richard. I guess you take that PR role REAL serious! I'll tell you what, though: from the perpective of someone who doesn't know you, or Ted, you are doing him a disservice, in a way. See, by stirring so much crap and bringing him up every chance you get, you manage to cause people (me) who don't even know him to dislike the guy. I actually had to take a step back, and think about it to realize that all the guy did was ride the hell out of his motorcycles, and it was you who made hearing his name a pain in the a$$. You may not care at all about one person's opinion, because after all, who the hell am I and why should you care? But if your constant bragging about (and appropriation of) his on-track exploits managed to irritate the $hit out of me, it may have had the same effect on others as well. I know some people say that all publicity is good publicity, but I don't believe that. If he was the one doing the bragging, I'd say fine, he earned the right to do so. But when it keeps coming from someone else, it gets old really quickly. Ask GSXRGIRL! [​IMG]
    So anyway, this is why I got fed up with you bringing him up: nothing against him, or you for that matter. I honestly wish him well and hope JU or someone else signs him and gives him a chance to make it. Maybe if he's good enough and gets on TV, he will be the one doing the post-race talking so we can actually find out what he has to say for himself (and you'll be the one in the background, trying to make sure the camera caught you as well [​IMG])

8. Zanyeights

Hey Richard, I remembered after I wrote it but didn't feel like going back and doing the edit. Besides I like my name better !!

Bye for now.

9. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Thiam1, you've missed the whole point... You are your own evil... Good luck getting someone to give you cash, so you can run around the track and have fun.. Have a nice day

10. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Tracee back to the original thread. You have to be both. I have sponsored riders who went out with the guns blazing and never finished the practice/race. They had a quick lap, but did not finish - not good. Sometimes, they would crash some much in practice - when it came race time, everything was broken - definately not good. In order to succeed you have to take certain risk, but be smart about it. Know your limits and do not ride over your head.. You have to finish a race to get the points, then eventually the championship.

[This message has been edited by R Hood (edited 12-23-2000).]

11. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Isn't Technology is great. Even with a visit to a little site. Address, got it. Time and referring page, Got it. OS, windows or mac, Got it.MSIE or Netscape, Got it... So many stats, so little time

12. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

That was never in the cards for me: I came to racing pretty late. I don't have the riding skills (or the patience) required to go hunting for big sponsorship. I may be winning Novice races, but it will all be over by the time I make Expert. Unlike some others, I am not fooling myself. So I'll be paying my own bills, and doing my own trash talking. And again, for the record, I sincerely hope "your" rider succeeds as an Expert and a Pro. It's not his fault that your style antagonizes people.

13. Bryon K. Dumas

Bryon K. Dumas Well-Known Member

First I'd like to say that how many big time motojournalist would take two seconds of their time to discuss club racing with a bunch of us, "less than AMA quality" racers?
    My hats off to John Ulrich, whom I consider the only motorcycle journalist who knows the meaning of journalism.
    Now let me slam him:).
    It is impossible for me to straddle my Italian Steeds and go for anything less than the win. When I'm looking at someone's back tire as I cross the finish line I don't think of championship points I'm gaining. What I am thinking of is I just let that dude kick my ass and why did I let that happen.
    Out of the ten Heavyweight Twin Novice National races this year I only got to race in four. I rode my heart out in those four races and managed a podium position for each race and a podium spot for the year. I raced only two of the ten National 750 Superbike races and finished on the podium both times and ended the year in 9th place.
    My point is I feel you should go into every race and pour your heart and soul into it. Don't think points, think win. And when you go for the win you still may have a chance at a season ending podium shot even if you only got to race a small portion of the season. (Can you tell I had a mid-season injury and had to limp back to finish the season :).
    I agree with John that race winners can't be as attractive to sponsors as championship winners. But there is supreme joy in blowing by that "point champion" looking at him, smiling, and saying in your helmet, "hey champ, how does the ass end of my bike look to ya."

Bryon EX # 98

14. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Like I said somewhere else on this BBS (I have no idea where), some of you guys make too good a case for me to dismiss your viewpoint out of hand.

So how about this: Do what works for you. If it works for you, good.

Sort of like, the best bike for you is the one you like the most.

Hope to see you at the races.

JU

PS: I'm a racer. I like talking racing with other racers, at the track or on the screen.

[This message has been edited by julrich (edited 12-23-2000).]

15. Bryon K. Dumas

Bryon K. Dumas Well-Known Member

Your right John, it' kinda like my first girlfriend who laughed when I pulled my pants down for the first time. She said "who you gonna please with that little thing?"
    Of course I said, "me".

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

16. Zanyeights

Now that is funny!!

17. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Papa - I appreciate the sincerity towards "my" rider - Have a wonderful holiday

18. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I guess I should have been more specific when wording my orginal post. In the eyes of your peers who is the better racer? It has nothing to do with sponsorships, fans, family or whoever just your peers. Because the reason I race is to know where I stand in the pecking order. It is better to know defeat than to just dream of glory and what if's. The majority of the people on this board just club race, that's it. Most of us know that we have to get up Monday morning to go to work. So in the eyes of these people who is the better champion?

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

to just us? the guy who wins everything in site the guy who shows upotta nowhere and wis hasnt earned it as well as the guy who showed up every weekend and worked to stay on top by proving he or she was the best every time. not just always there somewhere