1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race format

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by choppertim, Dec 22, 2004.

1. choppertim

choppertim Well-Known Member

I have a question about the race format for the endurance series. I am planning on fielding a Novice Team to run the Endurance races in the southeast area. With these races being so long, do they run everyone at the same time or do they run seperate Novice and Expert classes? How many riders should we expect to be on the track at the same time? Thanks for any information.
    Tim

2. All classes and riders are on the track at the same time. There is no classification on an endurance team as to amatuer or expert. You are just a team. Id say on average, there is around 35 to 40 bikes racing , but if you have been racing 600's your probably used to that by now. The only thing you will have to get used to is the paint being sucked of your bike as Batey comes flying by on the yellow #1 bike.:D

3. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I would definately attend an endurance race as an onlooker prior to entering a race so you can get a good idea of how it all works.

4. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

At some of the big tracks they'll have 50-60 teams. Loads of fun, but not for those who freak out when getting passed millimeters from other bikes.

5. vcr12 pit crew

vcr12 pit crew Well-Known Member

watch a race first, take notes how the teams try to work together and ask questions...most of us won't bite. good luck.

6. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

Did not loose any paint but that bike went buy me so fast on the straight at VIR that it did suck the air out of the carbs! I really appreciate the skill these guys and others exhibit when passing us....um....more challenged riders.

7. Mark91ex

Mark91ex Leg-Over!

Depends on who you are talking to!!!:D

8. vcr12 pit crew

i guess your rite some mite bite:Poke:

9. Hatchman

Hatchman Speedaholic

First endurance race is at Jennings, pretty much our home track, so no time to 'watch and learn'.

Any other tips like how are the pits set up? Limit to number of people in the pit or kind of tools like an air compressor? What all does the scorekeeper need to record? For Jennings, what kind of tire changes should one plan for? How many rider changes, and how often are recommended?

Lots of questions, I know, Thank for the help!

10. vcr12 pit crew

you are aloud 7 people over the pit wall during a pit stop, that 7 includes your riders. a impact gun is a must(air/electric) for tire changes. you don't really need a scorer, everything is done with the lap counters now but if the system crashes and you don't have a scorer, you loose everthing. all the scorer does is record you time...there is a race clock set up for the scorers, evertime you pass the start/finish line the scorer writes down the time on the clock. you should change riders every stop, the length of your stints will depend on you riders and the size of your tank.

11. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

RTFRB ;) feels good to use that :)

As for riders,
    so 2 rider teams "can" compete in a 4 hours race, but 3 riders would be better

12. Hatchman

Hatchman Speedaholic

I like the 3 riders for 4 hours better than the 2men/4hour.

What's the 'downside' of running 4 riders on a 4 hour race? Seems like everyone would be 'fresher', getting an hour a piece. Tactics?

13. Fuzzy317

Changing riders that often would not be best. The time it takes to enter the pits, stop, change riders, and exit the pits could be several minutes.
    And thats just time not spend making laps. :up:

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends on your pit strategy which shoul dbe pretty much dictated by your fuel load - if you have to stop every hour then 4 will work, if you can get closer to 90 minutes the extra stop is a waste of time. Also will depend on your riders, if they need a half dozen laps to get to speed being fresh then they'll lose you time.

Right now you guys are planning on doing it for fun right? The put everyone on, enjoy the race and learn what you can for the 06 season. My main suggestion - have one person that is not a rider be in charge of everything once the race starts - crash repair, rider stints, pit strategy, everything. Riders need to concentrate on riding not the rest of it.

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Oh man! Did I learn that the hard way:D

16. Hatchman

Hatchman Speedaholic

Yes, we're just in it for the fun, and we have 4 people on our team, and want to give everyone some time. I like the non rider in charge suggestion as well. Thanks for the tips!

We need to find out how far we can go on a tank of gas, it's an '02 GSXR 750. We'll work on that next couple of track days. That and do some at home "tire changing practice", hot pit style.
    Any more helpful tips?

17. paul

paul just fast enough

The downside of 3 or 4 riders in a 4 hr race is lack of track time. Each rider getting just 1 hr of seat time unless you don;t get an hr out of a tank. Thats not much time to get in a grove. But it will depend on your riders also,some can only do 1 stint and they are wasted.

18. choppertim

choppertim Well-Known Member

Team roster

Hatchman is a team member of mine. We have 4 riders for the 6 hour race, can we split the team for the 4 hour events? Or once the roster is set, that team is set and can't enter an event as another team?

19. Fuzzy317

Re: Team roster

20. jsx269

jsx269 Well-Known Member

consistently entering two bikes, does this mean two bikes at every event? We were thinking of one bike for the six hr. races and two bikes for the four hr. races. Just want to get more seat time at each track. This year is a learning year for all of our team so we all want to learn as much as we can about each track.