1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Bodywork

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by randomwalker, Jan 12, 2011.

1. randomwalker

randomwalker Well-Known Member

Is it necessary to replace OEM fairings, cowls, etc., with race bodywork or make other changes to the OEM bodywork? This will be my first year at racing and I don't want to buy race bodywork, cowls, etc., which can be quite expensive, if I don't have to.

2. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

U need a belly pan.

3. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Compare the cost of replacing OEM plastics with a set of race plastics. Do yourself a favor, and pony up the cash for race bodywork. ~$500-$600 for ArmourBodies for most bikes. Do a simple rattle-can paint job for $20. I promise you it's worth it. The aftermarket plastics "crash" better than OEM, and are easier to take off/put on when doing maintanance on the bike. Another option is looking for used race bodywork. What kind of bike do you have?

Not for nothing, but if the cost of bodywork is a limiting factor for you, you might want to rethink this whole thing!

4. Hyper08

Hyper08 Well-Known Member

I bought some used/never crashed/in great shape for $300. Nobody cares what color they are, if it was rattle can painted or primer. If you have to sell your OEM ones on ebay

5. randomwalker

randomwalker Well-Known Member

It'll be a 2008 CBR 1000RR. Money's always an issue, but I'm determined to race this year...its just that I want to do the minimum for my first year and then take it from there. Is a belly pan all that's legally required (other than taping up the lights, safety-wiring, etc)? Will a plastic/ABS belly pan suffice?

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the belly pan needs to be able to hold a minimum amount of fluids.(couple quarts?)
    The material its fabricated from is not important. (fiberglass, ma's turkey pan, etc)

7. WhiteKnight01

WhiteKnight01 Racer wahnahbee

Do race plastics come with the belly pan?

8. smgosnel

smgosnel Active Member

Yes

9. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I understand the need/want to get out there, but consider the fact that when you drop the bike, be it on the track or off your rear stand, and you bust up your street plastics, they're going to be twice as much to replace. I've been there, bud. Tipped my '04 1000RR over in the trailer (bike was 2 months old) and busted up the mid and upper. OEM was ~$700 for replacement just for 2 pieces. Just something to think about...

If your determined to use your street stuff, remove the headlight bucket, taillight, turn signals rather than taping them up. Less stuff that can break means less money needed to fix it up. Good luck and have fun with it!

10. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

Racing a 1000

The best answer is probably to save your 1000 and not race it as a Novice unless you are very experienced or very wealthy. Tire and crash costs are much higher on a litre bike than other choices. No crash protection stuff is a guarantee against 1000 damage.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

SV650...:up:

12. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Echoing other thoughts, take it from someone that just crashed their minty 08 600RR (Graffiti of course). I lowsided and jacked up the front left side of my bike, damage was minimal but I need a front upper cowl, stay behind the upper cowl and if I want it to be back to showroom condition a new headlight as 2 of 3 mounting tabs broke, and the large plastic air duct that goes from the nose of the bike to the triple tree. The front cowl alone is $213 from Ronayers, $300 from a dealer.

Do yourself a favor and invest in some race plastics. If you want some inexpensive ones check optimal racing to see if they have a set for your bike. I know for the 600RR its like $365 shipped and I heard they arent that bad.

13. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

I second that notion. :up:

14. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

If the oem is already s scratched up and beat up and you are eventually going to make it a race bike. Who cares use your oem and race.

In then end it wont be worth nothing any way.

15. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I'd like to buy a belly pan and a sbk tail. I already have a full set but the guy I got the bike from cut the back of the belly pan open so that the cat didn't burn it I guess and now it won't hold any fluid. Everywhere I look the prices are for a full set, do I just need to call and get a price on the individual pieces?

16. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

Buy a fiberglass patch kit. It'll be about $10 total.

From there find a way to mount the belly using some easy to make brackets that will keep the body as far off the cat as possible. You may need to adjust this from time to time as burning versus scraping will be something to consider.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  17. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of doing this instead thanks for the suggestion. I'll be removing the cat anyway so that will eliminate those problems.

18. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

We know this to be true the 1K is more exspensive to race, however if a 1K is all you have run it. There are other ways you can cut cost..

19. KBacon

KBacon Well-Known Member

I'd keep the stock plastics in as good of shape as possible... If they are in good shape.. they are worth much more than a set that's been wadded up (obviously). Buy some that are already rashed up.. or a set of cheap new/used race fairings. Then either sell yours to pay for the race plastics, tires, ect... or keep them for when you decide to sell the bike..

But if I couldn't afford race plastics in the 1st place... I don't think I could afford to wad up my $8k bike in the first place??? I'd start by looking for an already prepped older race bike... sv, f2/f3, ect... That's what I'll be doing when the $$$ is right..

20. lonny426

lonny426 Member

If you're gonna race, it is defenitely not cheap. So if you are questionable about being able to afford a bodywork set, why not just do track days?