1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 wheel swap help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jesse Williams, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Jesse Williams

Jesse Williams Need more track time! Always!!

If the front rotors on all R6's are 295mm up until 2017, and the only difference is the number of bolts that hold the rotor on, why wouldn't I be able to use say any of those rims with the rotors designed for them on my 99 r6?

2. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I don't know the actual answer but axle diameter and length, rotor offset from center, etc. Anything can be made to fit but at what expense is it worth it?

3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Rotor diameter went up to 310mm in 05.
    The rotor offset changed slightly in 03 with the 5 spoke wheel, rotor diameter stayed at 298 like the 99-02 generation.

4. Jesse Williams

Jesse Williams Need more track time! Always!!

So the only way to goto a 5 spoke wheel means I gotta change the whole front of the bike? What about the rear?

5. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

5 spoke rear fits 99-02 swingarm with some brake hanger machining and rotor shimming.

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

3 spoke rotors are wider spaced than 5 spoke. It will require moving your calipers in abt 5mm per side.
    Like you already found out. Up to 04 rotors were 298mm OD. 05+ are 310mm

I'm working on adapting a pair of 07 wheels to my 99

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If you just have to move the calipers in, get spacers made to go between the caliper mount and fork, done.