1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 TPS Issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ar556, Oct 17, 2019.

1. ar556

ar556 Active Member

I'm having a bit of an issue with the TPS on a 2012 R6. I can't get the diag D01 to read any higher than 94. I measured the resistance on the original TPS/APS sensors that were on the bike and they were 18xx and 19xx ohms, where spec is between 2000 and 3000. They were slightly out, so I grabbed a used set and put them on. Both of the new (used) sensors measured in spec, but the same issue remains.

I've tried starting with setting the APS at both the high and low ends of it's specified range and then adjusting the TPS from there, but it doesn't help either. What's odd is, I can open the throttle all the way and when D01 stops at 94, I can push on the butterflies to get it up into the 99-101 area. I can then open/close the throttle and repeatedly get 18-99 as I do so, but as soon as I cycle the power and go back into diag mode, it's right back to stopping at 94 again and I can see the butterflies aren't opening quite as far as they just were. Even moving the TPS to start in the 20's doesn't change the fully open value from stopping at 94.

Any ideas where to go from here?

2. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

yeah the bike is fly-by-wire, you are not in control. You actually don't describe the "Problem"..

3. ar556

ar556 Active Member

I can’t get the TPS adjustment to be in spec. It’s supposed to be between 12-21 closed and 97-106 open. I can’t get it to read any higher than 94 open without pushing on the butterflies.

4. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

is the bike running bad or something?

upload_2019-10-17_10-26-28.png

5. ar556

ar556 Active Member

Bad, no, but I’m pretty certain that I’m not getting a true 100% throttle when I open it up all the way with those numbers being out of spec.

I’ll check those voltages this evening, but I’m pretty sure they correspond with the diag numbers on the dash anyway, just another method of checking the same thing?

6. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

Uh not sure, and by the way its FLY-BY-WIRE, it is going to open the throttle as much or as little as IT WANTS.. you are not controlling the throttle. You are chasing an issue that isn't an issue, if you put it on the dyno and it makes as much power as other R6V/X that have been on the dyno.. you dont have an issue.

7. mcmatt

mcmatt Member

Hello, ar. What ECU do you have on your bike? Completely stock? If so, i assume the throttle valves does not open fully and it is supposed to be so. I have 2008 R6 and it was "restricted" until i changed to YEC ECU.

8. ar556

ar556 Active Member

It’s a flashed stock ECU, restrictions removed. The ranges specified for those diagnostic values are from the genuine Yamaha service manual though, they should be attainable without a YEC/flashed ECU, etc. I’m thinking the servo motor that actuates the valves may be getting weak/going bad since I can reach the correct range by manually pushing them a little further.

9. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Try cleaning the innards of the TPS by removing it and spraying some elec contact cleaner in the gap where the motor rotates. Shake it around and repeat several times. Worth a try.

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Throttle bodies can be found for under $100 on ebay - I might suggest you find a set and try them or use them for parts.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. ar556

ar556 Active Member

Yeah, I should have just grabbed a whole TB set instead of just the 2 sensors in retrospect. I thought that was the issue for sure when the original ones tested slightly out of spec.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

There's a lot going on with those sensors and the solenoids. The ECU is constantly comparing values, and there are redundant position sensors. When the redundant sensor values do not match, strange things happen, and sometimes the ECU shuts off the TPS, requiring a reset. My recommendation is to leave the sensors alone because calibration in the field is not always reliable. It's also possible that the throttles are opening properly under load but not in static condition, only way to tell is with data acquisition on track or on a dyno. At the racetrack, when we have issues, we just replace the TBs as a unit.

MELK-MAN likes this.