1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 shock rebuild?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mb17, Mar 3, 2011.

1. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

I'm looking At getting my shock rebuilt but I'm wondering what are signs to do so? I bought the bike last summer and I have no idea if or when the shock had it's last service. So what I'm thinking about doing is buying another oem shock off eBay and rebuild mine on my own overtime as I gain more of the suspension tools I need. The reason I think I need to rebuild the shock is because I can set the preload all the way in and out and it doesn't seem like there's very much if any difference on return push rates by me. And as from what I can tell from the rest of the bike it's probably never been serviced. Also the adjusters still click and I've read that means it still has nitrogen so I'm just thinking the oil is so old and nasty that it's making the shock really stiff? Am I right any help is appreciated I don't want to be ridding at the track with a shock that's squatting and not working correct. Thanks in advance. O and the bike it an 06 r6 with 17000 miles.

2. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Barry @KFG Suspension up in Seattle does a TON of the 06-07 R6 stock shock rebuilds..in fact while i have a fancy $$ matris shock on my personal 06 R6 street bike...my trackday/race bike i rip around on has a KFG built oem shock..its amazing how well it works...added a 3mm shim to the top and once he got new spring, fresh oil and valving mods, and he adds a schrader so you can then nitrogen it in future.. its amazing how well it works for @$340 complete (i think thats what he gets) Give him a call..also Dave @GP has done several for our racers/trackday guys as well..either can do for ya.

Barry Wressell
    KFG Suspension
    206-372-6898

or

Dave Hodges
    GP Suspension