1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Piston Install

Discussion in 'Tech' started by crab1092, Aug 4, 2018.

1. crab1092

crab1092 Member

My understanding is they are torque to yield so once they are torqued, even once, and loosened they are no longer usable. I used the new bolts that were on the rods to check clearances and then replaced bolts and nuts for final assembly. Rick has been a huge asset through this build to help me make sure I don't bomb this thing.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I thought that was the case and was hoping you didn't re torque the new ones.

Next time, I think you can reuse the old bolts to check the clearance and then put the new bolts in for final assembly.

3. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Had this same problem. It was the oil wiper spreader. Trimmed a bit off the ring and they slid in with little effort

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yes. It matters.

5. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

I know this is an older post, but I absolutely feel crab1092's pain. It takes practice and finesse to get these things in, in one fell swoop. Took me 2 extra sets of rings because I didn't have good technique and forced the piston down in the compressor when the bottom oil rings were getting caught. I ended up buying the 67mm tapered compressor too, and that made everything 100x easier. Like others have said, you have to hit the piston harder, and in one motion to get it through. I wish I would have read this thread before attempting.

bbsteinnewyork likes this.