1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 fuel pump filter bypass mod?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Guns Akimbo, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Guns Akimbo

Guns Akimbo Well-Known Member

Bypassing the internal non-serviceable high flow fuel filter with a cleanable/reusable external filter is a popular mod with the SV-650/V-Strom/GSXR guys; I did notice that the Yamaha and Suzuki share a similar design, but haven't seen anyone do this on the R6. Has anyone heard of doing something like this for the Yamahas?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the 2003-16 yamaha R6s are most definitely rebuidable... despite what the OEM fiche shows. A replacement pump is about $85 delivered. The regulator is easy to check with a vac pump.
    Why would you want to do Suzuki things to a Yamaha?

3. Guns Akimbo

Guns Akimbo Well-Known Member

I'm aware that the pump itself can be replaced, because I did just that with my K6 1000 (ordered from All Balls) . Perhaps I wasn't clear in my OP; I'm talking about bypassing the original high-flow filter (which is sealed within the pump body and not designed to be replaceable. My current pump assembly is 14 years old. I did a flow test and it's below what it should be.

I think that an external fuel filter setup that costs far less than the $500 retail price for a complete oem replacement is worth looking into.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

allballs?? what brand of pump was it?
    They resell alot of garbage so Im curious on their offerings.

The intank replacement kits for yamahas come with a new sock & various fittings. You can buy the replacement strainers for ~$5 each. Regulators are $30.
    There is no secondary filter that I saw.
    You carefully disassemble the plastic basket.
    The gsxrs are a lil different.
    You can always just back purge the assembly.
    Also if you get that much trash in a fuel pump assembly maybe filter ALL the fuel going in the tank.
    2009 R6
    [​IMG]

2015 R6
    [​IMG]

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

To make it faster, obviously. :D