1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Engine Rebuild Cost

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bidwell, Aug 10, 2010.

1. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

I've never had a bike long enough to require an engine re-build, just wondering what the ballpark cost would be.

It's a completely stock 07 R6 with well over 30k HARD miles, it still runs good but may be getting a little tired. I'm looking to replace worn parts and slightly upgrade power on pump gas, nothing drastic or anything that would reduce longevity. A big bore would be OK since I don't race, just track days.

I'm near Charlotte NC so Lee's Performance or RM Racing are close by with RM being the obvious choice.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Labor is $1650.

Parts run from $500 to about $1500 depending on the condition of valves and transmission.

Big bore would add another $1500 or so.

All these are estimates for an engine in average condition.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

RIck does great work, KWS as well.
    Will need valves, valve springs-ret-keepers. THAT will be the expensive part..retail price for ONE valve is $100+. Your long overdue imo on especially exst. valves. They get flat tore up.
    From there it is ALL dependant on your budget. Honestly? if your not going to spend the money on race fuel and map the bike, there would be little need to do much else other than a standard freshen up.. Valves and valve train stuff, rings (maybe pistons but they will tell ya), and bearings, cam chain, and manual cct. Just a SS build nets some hp, but not much. The r6 motor is VERY good right out of the box. What you REALLY need is the 08v-stacks/ecu.

Going overbore will be MONEY. $550 for some JE pistons/rings, bore cost, then, you may wan't some Carrillo rods ($850?).
    The 2-3mm will give you nice midrange power, like an older gen. 750, but won't give you big hp up top.. For that you would need to do that, AND some head work.. Figure about $5,000+ to do a NICE 2mm SB motor with rods and head work.. but then to use pump fuel?? Go get a gsxr750??
    A good supersport build is $1,500 -$2k WITHOUT valves ($900-1500 depending on the deal you can get), pistons, rings, etc. With that many miles you may consider new stock rods with a ss build..
    SO.. it is crazy expensive to tear into one of these things, labor is $$ but so are TI valves for the 06+ bikes.
    Don't forget about $160 for INJECTOR service!! (can't pass up the op. to pimp myself..)

EDIT: i took too long typing, Rick posted some prices so there ya go!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the responses. My thinking was the bike is set up really well and needs nothing but a fresh engine. This may be an option depending on what kind of new bike deals I find in the next few months.

BTW, I'm continually amazed how well this engine has held up. A few weeks ago at the track its straight line speed was not down that much from other 600s.

5. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

So instead of making my own thread I'm bumping this.

I assume the costs above are pretty typical across the board, aside from maybe some specialty bikes? I was thinking about getting a refresh over the winter since I think my motor is getting a little tired, but it's almost like instead of a refresh of the stock parts, it's around the same cost to do an actual build. Is this accurate?

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Not really, you can build 2 sv engines for that money :)

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You need to charge more. ;)

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What's the cost of a sv rebuild in ss trim?

9. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

There are people that will charge 4-5k for an sv build. Only problem is...Those 5k builds still get walked down the straight from bikes with yellow stickers :)

regularguy likes this.
  10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Half of R6 :D

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Fair enough!

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

... i see what ya did there.. ;)

holy shit, is this thread really dug up from 2010 ?

13. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

o_O Yep, nice to know costs haven't increased since then. :crackup:

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

RIP Bidwell