1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 electrical harness/plug question

Discussion in 'General' started by metricdevilmoto, Apr 28, 2015.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I need help identifying an electrical connector from the R6 wiring harness. We burnt up a rectifier at Daytona and I'm going through the harness to see what else was damaged and the plug on the rectifier is burnt up. In the past when this had happened, I've always had crashed or trashed harnesses I could pull plugs or connectors from, but I'm running short on them and I don't want to pull apart mint stock harnesses for the plugs.

Best I can tell, the 06+ R6 does not share a rectifier with any other makes or models (based on part number searches for replacement rectifiers), so it appears to be a somewhat proprietary plug. Unless the plugs are the same and the actual rectifiers are different. The part numbers don't tell me that.

I ordered the "regulator/rectifier" harnesses in the PU catalog, but what comes in the box is the plug and pigtail for the stator, not the rectifier (which appears to be a more standard plug).

I know NAMZ offers OEM plugs in the PU catalog, but I couldn't find anything that looked like the rectifier plug on the harness.

I could make something using female terminals, but with a connection as critical as this, I'd rather lave a positively locking plug. I could also just cut apart the mint harnesses I have, but, like I said, I'd prefer not to. I know what I'm doing with the actual electrical work, but I just don't have the vocabulary for what the different names of the plugs are or where to source them. It's also a sealed plug with the waterproof boots on the backside and the yellow lock plate, which I'd like to maintain.

So if anyone knows what that style of plug is called even, that would help. It's a 6 pin plug. Black with the yellow lock plate and waterproof plugs. If you know of a source, even better.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Attached Files:

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i just ordered one of those plugs form them .. i had cut one off a spare harness years ago. i had seen on the R6 forum that someone had this. The lady said this is the 8th one they sold today. LOL !

5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

What are the odds of this Greg!? :D

6. MELK-MAN

LOL.. no kidding eh? ? good luck with the 1st gen you are workin on.

7. rhouck

rhouck wat?

Adding this to the spares box! I have a spare rectifier, but seems like half the time it takes out the plug too...

Free shipping too, nice find.

8. MELK-MAN

buy a used r6 stator too. and a spare water pump with housing.. and.. :D
    (seriously though, every r6 racer should have these 2 things as spare).

9. rhouck

rhouck wat?

I have the spare stator already, still need a water pump :up:

edit: though I just picked up a spare motor last night, so technically I guess I have one now :)

10. MELK-MAN

that'l do it. lol. i have spare motors, but don't bring em to any event but Daytona. knock on wood, never needed em.

11. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

don't keep mounting the rectifier to the frame unless its got a floating mount. If you continue you will keep having issues.

12. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

A stator and rectifier? Do these have problems on the R6?

13. MELK-MAN

yes. Especially if you mount the R/R up on the frame.. As Chuck G eluded to, at minimum, hold it off the frame for more air if you located up there on the frame. But honestly, keep the thing down in the stock position, in front of the radiator, if you live in a warm climate. I lost a r/r on both bikes, more than once till i relocated it back to stock position years ago (i have raced the same 2008 bikes since 2009, one Josh Day's old bike, one is Rob Jensen's old bike). Knock on wood, no issues with r/r since. Stators? yes. occasionally they start to fail. Without a constant 14vt, this machine will not run right.
    I now check for 14vt at the battery terminals holding 5000 rpm every race weekend. and have a spare stator.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  14. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

That's good to know, I was thinking about moving it but I'll save the work and leave it there.

15. MELK-MAN

... yup. leave it.

i suspect for pro racing (just a theory of mine), it's not as much of an issue. They go out, run 20+ laps, done for the day. In club racing, we are on and off track A LOT. Sitting on the grids waiting for the knucklehead that can't get in the right spot, red flag restarts, short races, etc. I have seen many of them roasted at the track. Almost all were mounted up on the frame.

the stock stator is putting out way more vt that this bike needs once you consider you took all the lights off, is reving at a much higher continuous rpm than it would see street riding, etc. That excess voltage is heat. Heat that has to be dissipated by the r/r.. give it as much air as possible.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015