1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Air filter rule via CCS Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by lonewrench, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what I need to see on the R6, not able to totally picture it in my head so asking all the questions is just not helping me at this point. I'll ask more if need be once I see one out in Cali.

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

^^^^^And there you have it...it is NOT on most other bikes... It is on the ones that needed help passing EPA Regulations. For Noise Reduction.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That argument still makes no sense, how do the other bikes pass the noise requirements without restriction? When it comes to rules, why the parts are on there is a moot point for the most part.

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Different shapes of tanks.. Use of less sound deadner, engine configurations, different package designs, take your pick..
    I think once you see it.. It will become clear... Like a DoubbleBubble Windscreen..:)

Think of it as a safety cap required, on a specific beer because it uses a special hopps..and that cap makes it a pain in the ass to open.. For no real reason...LOL

kjohnson likes this.
  5. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Some restrictions are based on volume of sales.

6. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

The GSXR filter is an element with no baffles/snorkels/cones and the airbox has two air inlets to the ram air tubes with no restrictions. The R6 has one opening where the filter is placed with the center ram air leading to it. Both the 2 holes for the GSXR and the single hole for R6 should not be modified but filter should be able to be changed to whatever you want as long as it fits in the stock location with no other modifications.

If you are asking if the surface area of the 2 holes is a smaller restriction than the single hole on R6 I have no idea as I haven't measured.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It won't be like a double bubble. :D

Like I said, if the intake is restricted already and so on then I may agree with you and MA. But the sound stuff means nothing.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the noise baffle is obviously because of that 17.5k redline the R6 has :D

MELK-MAN, Ducti89 and Knotcher like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I bet it's faster than a 205mpg RC51 too! :D

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

My point is, were it not for the stupid EPA NR's... I don't think it would be on the bike in the first'st place..... But maybe it is a super secret turbo resinator that adds HP...:)
    Or perhaps it actually redirects the airflow in a better direction to fix a dead air block..hummmmmm

lonewrench likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know what you are bitching about - but we're not talking about the epa or other political bullshit :p

Britt likes this.
  12. WTF? :crackup:

I agree with your point though.

renegade17 likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

MPG?

What is it running, a dirty VAG? :D

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Disclaimer...I'm on your side...shouldn't f'n matter. That being said, if ALL it did was reduce noise, then why would anyone want to do anything other than run stock?

15. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Ok so I've felt the same as you about this, I don't own an R6 and between all the pictures of filters and explanations I said to hell with it and off to YouTube. I found a few videos of people replacing air filters on an R6 and yes, outside of that snorkel the only "restriction" is the ram air intake from what I can see. My gsxr is the same, the only restriction is the ram air tubes leading into the air box. After seeing all this I agree with the general crowd that this rule for the R6 is pretty dumb. One of you R6 people go pop your air box cover and take a picture and post it

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No need for the pic (those obviously confuse more than they help :D) - I'll check out the video. Thanks for the idea.

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I didn't say that is all it did...i said that is why it is there and other bikes don't have it... It should be selctive as to use.

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Because the material on the aftermarket filter flows better and you can clean it and reuse it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Is it possible to use an aftermarket filter and the stock cone?

20. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Ha! I just posted a thread about this at the same time you did. Owell. I feel bad for Corey. Hopefully they will get it ironed out.