1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Air filter rule via CCS Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by lonewrench, Mar 21, 2017.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You can run whatever air filter you like. That's what I thought you were referring to. The noise reduction cover is part of the filter, not the airbox.

Ra.Ge. Raptor and Skter505 like this.
  2. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Sorry, I forgot the smiley.
    My comment was in regard to Mongo and snorkel-gate.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was referring to the entire thing - the snorkel to me is the airbox cover even if it has a filter mounted to it. It is definitely a performance gain to open it up more. Guess it's good for the Yamaha tuners since the others can't cut holes in their airbox intakes.

Thanks for the info.

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

It is for NOISE reduction to satisfy Noise Restrictions...in the racing real world..it should be thrown in the trash can...

lonewrench and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't matter what the intent is. The result is it limits power and it's stock.

What about the other brands and their airboxes?

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

GSX-R, R1, don't have those. Most are just a standard filter. What about the SV650, 300's, etc? There was talk around those filters previously. Would make sense to ensure above rule modifications cover those as well, ideally.

7. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Everything done to a SS build aids in performance but the line gets drawn on the cheapest part. Cam timing and thin headgaskets make a much larger impact but rules go after the air filter, a $90 part that gets replaced by everyone. Cutting up a GSXR airbox is not the same. No one is cutting anything on the R6.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

None of them have anything limiting the air coming into them?

I don't disagree on making the rules the same - who is talking about changing rules though? I'm asking questions about the MA rules and what they consider part of the air box vs the filter.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So it's cool if someone make a different lid for the GSXR airbox and sells it as a kit with a filter? At that point we should allow them to be changed?

I'm just trying to understand the thinking you guys have about it.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Is this restrictor plate racing?

Here in lies the problem, one brand may need it to pass NR, another may not...yes it is a restriction..yes removing it is a slight increase in power...but it is just stupid to have to run it...let me re-phrase..it is FUCKING LUDICROUS...

mdr14 and lonewrench like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, in Superstock/Supersport it absolutely is the same as restrictor plate racing. And in restricted classes I don't understand allowing one OEM a modification (removal of the noise baffling as you want to call it) that you don't allow another - simply because of how it is mounted to the bike.

I'm not talking about the 200 and I'm not talking about Superbike rules.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

All racers with the exception of Broome can remove an air box snorkel for free. Free HP should be SS legal. #snorkellivesdontmatter

Germany, Gorilla George and Skter505 like this.
  13. Skter505

No, nobody is changing the lids the the airbox either. The airbox has a fixed size hole for the filter. The filter has a further restriction on it. Replace the filter with whatever you want but don't modify the actual airbox.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's my point - the MA rules allow for a change in restriction on the R6 but not the other brands. You post makes it seems as if you're okay with that benefit being only for the R6.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

on my CBR, the airbox extends in front of the air filter. so the air filter does not impact the shape of the airbox or the inlet. so even if the CBR had a filter snorkel, changing the filter would not change the airbox.

in contrast, the R6 uses the frame and a plastic piece w/ a bunch of holes in it in front of the air filter. i can see how some dont consider that front volume to be part of the airbox. but it is to me. the ram air duct is the airbox inlet, not the snorkel. so following that, removing the snorkel does not change the airbox shape or inlet.

if anything, removing the R6 snorkel brings that bike in line w/ what all the other bikes already have.

Britt likes this.
  16. Skter505

No because the other bikes already dont have a restrictor on their filter, they can already put on whatever aftermarket filter they want. If anything they have an advantage right now and with the rule changed it be back to even.

Britt likes this.
  17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Rather than looking at is as allowing the R6 a change in the restriction that the others can't make, it's the removal of a restriction from the R6 that others don't have.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So the GSXR filter is wide open to the air flow? The is no restriction between it and the outside world? Looks restricted to me in the parts diagram.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I need to see the entire intake of an R6 in person I think. Been too damned long and I'm picturing half a dozen different setups :crackup:

Britt likes this.
  20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the ram air duct should be a restriction for all the common sportbikes

on my CBR, if u look inside the ram air duct w/ a flashlight, u can see pretty much the entire filter element..