1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 2017 Ktech Rear shock setup geometry help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ibidu1, Dec 10, 2021.

1. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Im about to replace my rear shock, with a k-tech I need a starting off length for the shock. The book states 290-296 mm for baseline. Im on a 180 Pirelli sc1 rear and with stock shock had to add 4mm added rear shim to get the bike to steer better. I also lowered the forks 4mm showing under the cap

Ive searched and guys have mentioned 293 eye to eye is best. But should I leave the 4mm shim or do you think thats a bit much? Im planning on measuring the swingarm end to a point on the tail while on the stands and hopefully match that same height. Because so far the bike seems dialed in on the stock rear shock.

2. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

If I were you, since the bike is handling well currently, I'd keep the same geometry to start. I'd set the K-Tech shock length to the same length as the current shock length (assuming you're keeping the shim in there).

ibidu1 and duc995 like this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I leave the shock at 293mm then swap shims for different tracks.

ibidu1 likes this.
  4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Riders often incorrectly add ride height to a stock shock to compensate for a too soft spring. Dynamic ride heights will change a lot with different spring rates. And chances are that you're going to end up on a 190/60 Pirelli going forward instead of the 180/60, so that's going to change your geometry as well.

Long story short, I wouldn't be too married to your existing setup. Start fresh with known good numbers.

jd41, youngR, ibidu1 and 3 others like this.
  5. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

Yep, our Pirelli guy said the 180/60 is no longer available and its just 190/60 from now on which he said was 6-9mm taller. I measured the height of the new 190/60 mounted and got an 7mm difference from the 180/60.

You are so right about being married to a setup, sometimes you have to try other things and learn from the difference. You can always plug other numbers in if it blows. So many people just cant do this but I get that it can be uncomfortable.

youngR and ibidu1 like this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

For the OP and yourself save time and being uncomfortable by not asking Jimmy BBS and get ahold of a suspension guy nearby and have them assist. I bet you'll save at least 1 or maybe 2 rear tires from a untimely tearing death well before their time.
    And 180/60s are available in some but not all compounds

ibidu1 likes this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Tire dimensions are post in the tire selection thread BTW.

8. metricdevilmoto

An increase of 7mm is accurate for diameter when comparing the 180/60 and 190/60 mounted tires. But only half of that matters (radius) to ride height. But, even then, dynamic geometry and the profile of the tires is just as important in regards to how the motorcycle handles.

backho and youngR like this.
  9. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

I agree, that was the main reason for me adding a shim to the rear under wot the shock, and weak spring were compressed. I would have to back off the throttle a bit to get the thing to steer properly. Many guys on here were "encouraging me" to ditch the stock shock. My plan was to keep this a simple race bike, run some regional races.

I left the shock at the recommend length 290mm plus 4mm shims total of 294mm. If the bikes too twitchy shouldnt be an issue to remove the shims at the track.

As for the 190 pirelli, I only buy whats available at Losail track.

10. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a suspension guy, but hes super busy when at the track. I wanted to get a good baseline from r6 owners with this new shock, ill set the rear sag, and mount some fresh rubbers for him.

With the old setup, I did go through 1 rear tire, which is why I picked up a aftermarket shock with matching spring.

11. metricdevilmoto

Talk to him when he's not at the track?

Also, I'm a suspension guy and I'm constantly busy at the track. Someone is making me busy. May as well be you.

Get in line. Make an appointment. Send an email. Help yourself. It's exponentially better than polling the internet and having a committee of uninformed people set up your bike.

Sudowoodo and StaccatoFan like this.
  12. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

why are people afraid to try different settings? i will keep changing things right up to the warmers coming off. sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. everything can be put back to a setting you liked.

Banditracer and youngR like this.
  13. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

The thing is hes hired for a race team, and isnt independent. I wish we had guys like thermosman out here. But because I know a few of the racers on the team hes taking care of me. Im not a knoob to suspension, just the R6 is a new platform for me, and what started as a simple bike build snow balled.

14. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

I dont mind changing settings, at the track. I just dont want to loose track time.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

These guys forget where you're located. Wait call Thermosman and fly him in!!!! Shouldn't cost you more than say 20 grand US

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Not that THAT has NEVER happened before.....not busting your specific chops on this...but it should be a cautious reminder to almost everyone setting up a new track platform.

17. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Actually Dave Moss is in Dubai autodrome right now, somebody with big coins flew him in. I dont have it like that

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Screw Dave I'm retired so fly me over and I'll do your tire tech work. Then I'll call Mike and rebuild your stuff while he's on the phone.

I'll need 30k please or 400k in bitcoin

19. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

From what Oldtimer the guys who hired dave moss, the prices they are charging to do trackday and suspension tuning. $600 a pop for 1 day trackday plus tuning.

The qatar race teams fly in mechanics from spain, its mainly government support which is pretty cool. They want fast riders, so they give them free training on 400 ninjas. Summer time they fly them to almeria circuit in spain for training because the weathers too hot.

20. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

interesting.