1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R3 Superstock Rule Question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by E-Van, Oct 9, 2022.

1. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

I’m currently working on building up a R3 I bought for trackdays but with an eye toward eventual club racing. The previous owner crashed it and I just discovered the steering stem is bent.

If I were to replace the stem and triple with the TST aftermarket ones would that be Superstock legal?

(e) says handlebars may be changed/altered

Is it too much of a stretch to think the triple tree is part of the handlebars?

I’m debating between buying the TST parts or just an OEM replacement so the legality would effect my choice.

2. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but....

If the rulebook does not mention it, then it's likely not allowed.

For supersport, I believe the frame and triple clamps must remain OEM and IF a replacement stem were allowed legal for supersport, I'd think that, at least, rake and trail must remain OEM.

3. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

That was my initial thinking as well but thought I would ask.

For what it is worth I believe the TST triples are stock rake and trail, there is no adjustability.

4. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

1) Is it that hard to find a cheap straight R-3 or R-3 frame? Seems 1000% easier than trying to weld one on straight?

2) I'd say depends 100% on the club you want to race with. Check their rule book and ask them. I'd think most smaller clubs just want racers.

Racing in MotoA specs notwithstanding, you'd have a different bike by then. ULW and LW Stock racing ain't where the moneys at, unless you enjoy making all the other 16yo girls cry?:D

*LOL, proud Ninjette racer here:p

E-Van likes this.
  5. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

does the part look identical to the stocker from a few feet?

Its club racing but there is always that one person who will protest...lol

7. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I'm no an expert but that's not Superstock legal.

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Why would you spend $650 for an illegal for SS aftermarket triple when you can get a used stocker on e-bay for under $100? Spent the left over $550 on suspension, tires and track time. If you are really compelled to spend money on something cool, get a new helmet.

Sudowoodo likes this.
  9. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but unfortunately parts for the 2019+ R3 are not as cheap or readily available as the previous generation. A OEM triple set is going to cost $250-$300 so the difference gets a little closer and approaches the territory where it is a debatable upgrade.

Thanks for the replies everyone. You confirmed my reading of the rules but having never raced before I wasn’t sure how imaginative people got with the wording of things.

10. WMRRA #22 - SH

WMRRA #22 - SH WMRRA #22

E-Van likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not legal, find a stock one from a crashed bike that hit the rear end.

E-Van likes this.