1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 ?

Discussion in 'General' started by RonR, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Loved my 05 R1, after I put the 06 swing arm and ohlins carts and rear shock it handled like it was on rails. Still can't get that feeling on the 09 gsxr.

2. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

3. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I loved my 2011 as a street bike, albeit with fork extenders and shock spring to make it handle, and Flash Tune to remove some stupid electronic behavior. Even with an Akrapovic exhaust, the tail heat was awful if caught in traffic, and it overheated as soon as airflow slowed down when leaving the track. But the 2004 was just as bad as far as heat issues.

Loved my 04 but they have a terminal flaw - the outboard alternator bearing. affects 04-08. Something to be aware of with higher mileage units. if that goes as bad as it can go, you'll throw the whole bike in the trash. And even if it goes good, it's going to happen.

Without a doubt for track use, the 2015 is the right choice.

4. shane125L

shane125L Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

You guys call thats ugly?? Lol i love my r1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. shane125L

shane125L Member

It is massively under powered and it is heavy as shit but the me its one of the nicest looking bikes out there and the sounds it makes are simply amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Looks are obviously subjective, but I have always thought that version of the R1 was ugly as hell. They really fucked up the front of it and it is so wide. I think the 04-06 looks 10x better.

That version reminds me of the aliens from Independence Day.

[​IMG]

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

A friend and customer of mine has one of the real deal R1s. This motorcycle is a long way from the showroom floor R1. When you realize just how heavily modified the bikes they were racing were, you realize how not good that gen R1 was.

Attached Files:

8. Look at all the frame bracing and shit.

9. metricdevilmoto

I actually think they were good looking motorcycles. But, sorta like an 04 ZX10, it's just a fundamentally bad race bike and because of heat, it wasn't really even a good street bike. Motor sounds badass, though.

10. metricdevilmoto

And there's a whole lot of things you can't see. I don't think I have any pics saved, but the tank was a piece of art. There are offset bearings in the stem. Things like that.

11. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

That's the ex-Pegram Graves bike that's for sale on FB right now right? Tons of pics of it on the listing.

12. metricdevilmoto

Yes. I think Seth Starnes is selling it for Bill. No idea what he's asking, but it's worth it. It's a real deal SBK and the owner is a very meticulous guy. If you absolutely had to have one of those R1s, that's the one you want.

13. shakazulu12

25k was the number I remember. I was fapping to the details in the pics. That thing is amazing. I remember a few years ago when one of the mags had a video review of Hayes bike, I still think that generation is one of the best sounding bikes ever.

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It's still crazy to think about what Spies did on that R1 compared to his teammate, who is pretty good at Superbikes these days. I understand that Sykes improved, but damn Ben was on his own planet.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Which makes Leon Camier's championship and subsequent performance all the more baffling.

16. shakazulu12

They seemed to have that generation really dialed in BSB. Tommy Hill seemed to get along with it pretty well.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Except it was a brand new bike when Leon and Ben won on it.

18. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

that's a lot of bracing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]