1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 wheel

Discussion in 'Tech' started by TZRusty, Sep 6, 2022.

1. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

will 6" R1 wheel fit in R6 swing arm ?

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Why? Got a connection for Moto 2 tires?

3. TZRusty

grafted a R6 swing arm into my Spondon frame. 5.5 fits easily maybe 6" will fit for a 190 tire

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Why does everyone want to complicate their life? You have a 5.5 wide wheel that will EASILY accept the 195 mm wide & 662mm in diameter Pirelli 190/60 WSS slick. Yep, the same superfast tire that is used in WSBK events for the last 3 or so years, and you can buy it from any Pirelli race tire guy. So, save your rim money and buy a few tires!

5. TZRusty

The Pirelli 192/195 does not fit, rubs on inside of swingarm. 188mm barely fits and sometimes rubs with tire deflection. The Dunlop 180/60 fits but we have Pirelli sponsorship. Tire s are constantly being discontinued and changing sizes. Hard to fit on a bike that will be 40 years pld.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

180/55R17 Slick 181mm wide and 641 in diameter. This has been in the range since 1995

180/60R17 Slick 190mm and 656 in diameter. This has been in the range since 2008ish I think?

190/60R17 Slick currently used in WSS and is 195mm wide and 662 in diameter
    We had this in the US in 2012ish and first as a Daytona construction, if I remember correctly?

Brand Buffalo 180/60R17 Slick 184mm wide and 656 in diameter

Ok I'll bite what bike is this for please? FYI tires are NOT constantly being discontinued as you can see above, and you have more options with this brand than any other. So, I'm confused when you can choose from 3 tire size options for a 5.50x17 wheel?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  7. TZRusty

Bike is 1983 Spondon TZ750. Dunlop 451 fit and Pirelli has only one rear 180/55 sc1.vintage races are only 6 laps would like to use sc0. May have to buy Dunlops to get the compounds I want. Thank you for your input

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ok something is weird here, you have a R6 swingarm, correct? And at first you wanted to fit a 6.00 R1 wheel with a l90 tire? And we know that a Pirelli 180/60 or a 190/60 will fit on a R6 and has for years. And there are many SV650 fast guys running the 190/60 with great results. But now you say the 190 WSS Pirelli won't fit? Why please?

9. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

FWIW, Pirelli only seems to do one run of 180/55 SC1 rears a year and we Kramer guys gobble them up. I fear the day Pirelli decides not to bother making them any more because the demand for them is relatively low. A 180/60 rubs the chain excessively.

10. TZRusty

I was told Pirelli owns Metzler and the tires are sized for my needs in 3 compounds

11. TZRusty

190 tire rubs on chain No room to offset sprocket anymore

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

If I remember correctly the Kramer comes stock with a 180/55R17 Sc1? An OEM tire deal means OEM R&D and bike production tires must be produced based on a yearly forecast, and that includes what Kramer US needs. Then the worldwide replacement market (i.e. race distributors) has to hand in their yearly forecast, and with low volume products it's really hard to gauge how many are needed. Your race distributor doesn't want to tie up money in a big pile of them when they sell 1 Kramer tire to 30 190 slicks. On the flip side if they buy too many the racers bitch about buying a 1 or 2 yr. old tire.

And yes, the tire company will continue to make them if there is demand. Two examples are this, the 160/60R17 SC1 slick was dropped but demand increased, and it was put back in the range a few years back. Back in 2014(?) racers complained that 16.5s weren't available yet I had 6 sets in the warehouse, and they were about 18 months old! But nobody would step up and buy them, and I said WTF and finally they sold in the next 9 months. Then recently some NA racers/bike collectors asked for 16.5s and a production run was made. The point is that this stuff isn't easy to do.

It's true that low volume tires might only be produced once or twice a year. And sure, sometimes there are backorders even with the popular sizes, but my advice is the NA Kramer owners is contact your race vendor/distributor so they know what you need. I know the factory is ready to start looking at forecasts so they can buy materials now and then start shipping the sticky buns to arrive here in March ready for the race season.

13. Michael Hausknecht

Yes, the little Kramers come with a 180/55 SC1 rear. I've bought 5 in the last few months from two different vendors. Both are aware I'll buy more if they can get them. Thanks much for your insight.

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

If 180/60 fits, I have a pile of old
    Not sure where you are in the world, but we have plenty in stock.

15. Michael Hausknecht

Just ordered two more, and rain tires....... with the hope I won't need them!

metricdevilmoto likes this.