1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QuickShifter issues, SV650

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Lazy Destroyer, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

2004 SV, w/ PCV and QS
    This uses the pull-type shifter.

It seems I can only get the QS to deactivate the ignition if I push down crazy hard on the shifter. Way more than I'm comfortable with, and even if so I can't get a clean shift cause I'm pressing so hard.

When I first got the bike I checked the QS, unplugged it and checked continuity (assuming it's just a regular switch). It activated with a casual push down on the lever. So I'm not sure why it doesn't do anything when pressed with my foot while riding.
    I changed shift rods so that it had more of a 90deg angle on the shift shaft & knuckle on the motor, thinking maybe the shifter was getting hung up in an activated mode and not resetting itself. made no difference.

I looked online at the PC software, it looks like there is only RPM and shift time adjustments, nothing else. For the SV I assume shift time is the same for all gears.
    Is it possible the shift time adjustment is too short? It seemed to work for the previous owner. Is my test the correct one to verify switch operation, or is there a better way?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I believe 75ms is recommended

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

have it kill fuel and spark. and make sure the PCV is set for the QS that you have (normally closed or normally open) also make sure u have the two wires installed in the correct ports in the pcv
    75ms is good.

4. Lazy Destroyer

Finally got around to installing the software and looking at the programming.

It was set to only cut fuel so I changed it to Cut Fuel&Spark

The shifts were set to 60 ms, so I bumped it up to 75 ms. The 1-2 was at 85 ms so I left it there.

EDIT: wait the SV650 doesn't have a gear indicator.... I take it I just set it to single value and set to 75ms ?

I'll see how it does at Road ATL this weekend!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

If you don't have your gear position sensor hooked up to your PCV, the QS wont work in the gear dependent variable kill time mode. Set it for the single kill time mode using 75ms.

Lazy Destroyer likes this.
  6. Lazy Destroyer

Went to RoadA, still couldn't get it to work.
    Pulled the PCV out and found a wiring diagram online.
    One of the QS wires was not connected on the correct terminal, rewired it and WOAH this thing is fun LOL!

I just need to get used to it now cause I've gotten so used to gently resting my foot on the shifter just before pushing down for the shift. Can't to that now (occasionally tripped the QS) but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Good call :D
    Well, the wiring was only half wrong haha