1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick turn throttle? 90 degree ?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mattology, Nov 15, 2019.

1. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I am wondering about a different throttle on my bike.

coming out of the corner i have to almost grab a handful and a half to open the throttle to full coming out of corners, i definitely need a regrip or need to like, really wrap my hand around the throttle to pull it open all the way.

something tells me this isn't... normal for track only bikes lol, but I definitely feel like it gives me more precision at low throttle percentages, something i really need to work on.

is there a standard that should be expected a race/track bike to have in terms of ideal throttle turn degrees to promote good throttle control while still allowing it to be opened smoothly in one twist of the wrist ?

if this is an idiot question, just let me know, thanks in advance

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Not an idiot question. There are many solutions to this. Some have gone with R1 throttle tubes (fifth turn as I recall). Many have gone to Motion Pro throttle tubes that have various cams including a eccentric cam to "tame" the initial opening surge. Check out STG's video on the subject for a quick primer.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you have the money, pick up the Motion Pro. The multiple reels make for quick and fairly easy adjustments to how fast the throttle opens. Otherwise, solutions may depend on what bike you have, but you can likely find something cheaper (R6 and R1 throttle tubes are common solutions for several bikes). The R1 throttle turn may not be a 5th turn depending on your bike's throttles. It may be more or less.

I run the Motion Pro with a fast reel on my SV and use the stock throttle on my 2003 R1. It makes the transition between the two bikes a little less abrupt.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Also check how you're holding the grip. Screwdriver style vs pull up grip can let you get a lot more turn with less effort or a need to regrip.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

65-75 is the range you should look for. No need for regrip and less hand movement as you go to the brakes. Watch some videos of fast riders’ right hands. The control of top guys is amazing to watch and phenomenal in the data. Right @khill?

CR750 likes this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

MotionPro has graphs for all their cams on a given bike for the V2 throttle, usually showing the stock angle too. here's the R6. I can use red or yellow, and like the yellow better. that mostly fits the angles RM Racing just gave.

[​IMG]

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have heard from friends and read online about the G2 system:
    https://www.g2ergo.com/
    I have a tube with cams in a drawer ready to bolt in when I'm ready. The parts are really high quality, and the different tube options are pretty cool. Early open throttle, soft open, etc.

8. ih574

ih574 New Member

I use a Domino XM2 on an R6. It has several cam choices as well, including a progressive cam. I especially like how I can have the cables exit from the top, giving more room for the brake master clamp adjustment. The cable entries into the throttle tube rotate freely as well allowing that much more mounting flexibility. I had to buy from a UK supplier, but it was cost competitive with the Motion Pro.

9. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Looks like i'm going to take a shot at designing my own cam to do exactly what I want, now that I know it's something that people do pretty often out here.