1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Shifters

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jason Coleman, May 2, 2005.

1. Jason Coleman

Jason Coleman Well-Known Member

Nashville’s long sweeper proved to be too much for my uncoordinated left foot and hand combination. Several people stated that a quick shifter would not only help in that turn, but maybe several other turns. Any recommendations? Will I be able to downshift without the clutch as well as upshift?

Thanks in advance.

2. sinner

sinner Well-Known Member

The quick shifter is one of the best things I've bought for my bike. I haven't been on that track but I don't need to have been to know that it would help. It helps on every track everytime you need to upshift plain and simple.

To the best of my knowledge it does not work on downshifting. If you can make it work for downshifting then I have not done it.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

are you using the standard shift pattern?
    is the shift lever positioned appropriately?

quick shifter does nothing for downshifts.

i do NOT recommend the standard 'dalewalker holeshot'. i've seen a few and they were all problems. in their defense, they do have a newer trigger, which was part of the problem with the standard, for an additional 165$. total price over 355$? no thanks.

other brands aren't cheap, either. (higher than the 'holeshot').

dynojet has a couple kits to be used with or without a powercommander...not sure of the pricing.

if you're having riding issues, i'd say use your head to work 'em out. throwing money at the problem may only be a crutch...if it fails, you're back where you started.

4. Jason Coleman

FF, I use GP and believe I have the lever adjusted properly. Several times I would even hold the clutch in, after missing an upshift, and continue stomping on the shift lever, to no avail. I have never had a problem at any other track upshifting or downshifting. The first shift in the corner was fine, it was the second or third shifts that were causing problems. I agree that I need to try to solve the problem without a quick fix solution, but I am at a loss as to where to start (see above statement about no previous shifting problems). On Saturday, I only noticed the problem on the 600. On Sunday, I noticed the problem on both bikes. It would not happen every lap, but it happened more than 60% of the time. Quick shifter was a suggestion at the track, I just need more guidance now.

Thanks for the help.

5. Jason Coleman

To clarify the post about both bikes on Sunday, the tlr experienced major gearing changes throughout the weekend. During Saturday's practice and races, the tlr was on the rev limiter before the start / finish line. On Sunday, we got the bike about mid way between the start / finish line and the orange cones before hitting the limiter. Why would this have made a difference on shifting? Could it?

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

hanging off on that long left sweeper prolly keeps your foot in a more downward attitude. your foot prolly isn't allowing the shift lever to return to center. sometimes the shifter can hang up when that happens. a little internal help by feathering the clutch can set things straight again but, you're killing your drive and creating risk. a stronger shift detent spring could be the useful answer...and a lot cheaper than a quickshifter. i'm inclined to go with this.
    then, again, maybe you could lower the lever a tad.

7. Jason Coleman

Thanks. I will pull everything out late this week or early next week. Thanks for the advice. :up: