1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick fueling

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by omnivore, Jun 1, 2012.

1. omnivore

omnivore Well-Known Member

Is there another option to a full on dry break setup?
    Clarke's Splash Gas setup?
    Willit work with a Honda CBR's stock tank opening? Thx gang.

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have been using Acerbis dump can with stock cap for last 15 years or so :)

3. omnivore

Is that the Acerbis Speedy Quick Fill?

[​IMG]

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

That is one of them, I think it will work. I have older one like in this link http://www.hardracing.com/DIRT&ATV/AcerbisFuel.htm
    Little different system, not spring loaded like that. I have to pull lever and rubber ball drops to open fuel flow. I modified my little and it takes about 15 sec to dump 5 gallon.
    By specs on that yellow one sounds my is little faster and holds more fuel. That one is only 4 gallons, not enough for our bikes.

5. mperussault

mperussault Well-Known Member

We started by using the Clark Splash Gas Nozzle can (1 1/2 inch head) on a stock GSXR 600 gas tank and it worked great. Then later on you can upgrade you tank with a dry break and buy a red head and install it on the the same can.
    They have most of what is available on the market at this web site:

http://justgastanks.com/product_info.php?products_id=527

Good luck.

Yogi97sk likes this.
  6. omnivore

Thx for the advice. Got a new 5 gallon Splash Gas in my living room and pumped to use it. The website says 15 sec fills? Yay or Nay? If so, it'd get us at least 4 laps that we were loosing in the pits.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

A double dry break will get you about 1 gallon per second/1.5 seconds. :D

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yup, we get close to 7 gallons in 8 seconds.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Thats right about were we are. It's great to make up 30 seconds on someone who uses a regular gas jug.

10. What do you guys do for venting on the tanks you modify for a receiver?

For some reason dumping excess fuel near a hot exhaust, or venting into a plastic catch bottle strapped to the frame doesn't seem like a very good idea. :D

Do the systems dump the excess, or do you just carefully measure what goes in the gas can as to not overfill?

Thx

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Vast majority vent back into the can.

12. six6two

six6two AWD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's our setup. One way valve in the line before it has to go up the loop then the hose runs down to a catch can we zip tied to a radiator hose. Catch can is some high heat stuff from McMaster Carr I believe, and that's also where we got the valve for the line. We've had absolutely zero issues out of this setup. The pipe coming out of the tank is bent at a 90 under the surface and extends back up to the back of our dry break receiver to avoid fuel being forced up the line during braking. Britt Lynn was a ton of help for us when we set our tank up, and it's worked great. Hope this helps. Endurance racing is the way to go!!:rock:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  13. Thanks! Just what I needed to see. Didn't think about a one-way valve.

So all other vents in the tank are plugged? That's a gen1 SV, right? Carbed with a vent in the petcock? (assuming you left that)

14. raven21

raven21 Well-Known Member

Triumph 675 pictured.

15. Aaah, it certainly is. Thx, sir

16. six6two

six6two AWD

yeah its a 675. i think most bikes are vented in the stock cap. also just noticed the same type valve on my rm250 that looks better than the genetic one so you could probably get it through a Suzuki dealer.

17. I didn't think quickfill receivers have a vent though, right? I may be mistaken.

Thanks to all for answering the naive questions ... I don't particularly want to fill the paddock with spilled fuel or vapor lock out track.

-D

18. six6two

six6two AWD

yeah the redhead ones do not. please ask all the questions you may have on this matter :D

19. Thank you! So I guess my best options are IMS or Clarke, right?

http://imsproducts.com/Products/index.cfm?TypeSet=Dumpcan&seD=true&tyD=true&maD=true

http://clarkemfg.com/splash-gas-3-gallon-can-complete-with-dbm-dry-break-standard-ma-p-119.html

Are the receivers the same on both? Interchangeable, and non-venting? I suspect I should weld up the OE vents in my '10 R6 tank, then vent from the top into a catch bottle? Do you have a second vent, since you've got that one-way valve on it (or is the flow direction to let air in, and not fuel out?)

Based on my lap times, I need all the seconds I can get in the pit. :D

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

When the bike is sitting..you "prop" open the Drybreak with a Big ziptie stuck in it..sticking out so you don't forget it.

This keeps pressure from building up and causing problems, once pressure builds the pushes the DB closed harder against the seal.

I have actually seen a bike with NO VENT, run the entire Daytona 200 with no issues at all...kinda got me thinking how the whole FI system works...and how they were able to do it made sense after some thought.

I think I still owe Dave Sadowski Sr a beer or two from that bet.