1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about welding rods

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Aug 28, 2020.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Guys, I am at work and trying to get some stuff figured out so I have a starting point I can go from without wasting a bunch of material. I have 3 different rods at my disposal here. All are stored in a cabinet, are rust free and the flux appears to be good. I have no idea how old any of them are.

1) Brutus A welding rods. They are from Rockmount specialty alloys. Crazy high strength, ductile and good for dissimilar metals. I found 2 open containers of them. How moisture sensitive are they and if they are moisture sensitive can they be reconditioned. These are expensive rods so I would like to salvage them if possible. It is pretty dry up here. Right now humidity inside the building is on the high side of what we see at around 30%. Winter is usually around 15% humidity inside.

2) 7018 rods. I know these are moisture sensitive and can be baked to recondition but would they be OK with the low humidity we see or would I need to bake them?

3) 6010 rods. Do they ever go bad?

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

@Britt to the courtesy phone.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

If the 7018 coating isn’t falling off or all cracked up from moisture and years of sitting around, just use em. Any moisture will dry out as you’re welding and you’ll be fine. Honestly no idea on Brutus rods. 6010......run a bead and see how it does. What’s the worse that can happen.......and you’ll see first hand what you can get away with.

VFR#52 likes this.
  4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Lol. That was plan B if there were no one had any solid intel. The Brutus A rods were the ones I was most curious about as they have 125,000PSI tensile but the material is still ductile and are supposed to have a smooth arc with limited spatter. If that is the case even my somewhat sketchy welding will be strong and pretty. :D

5. sdg

sdg *

I really want to try this rod. Thanks for sharing... They have a AAA too

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

What are you building?

Sometimes it helps to remember you aren't building a nuclear submarine.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

LOL. I am the best welder in our group of hobby welders and can usually get my welds to pass inspection so I end up getting all of the welding jobs. I prefer TIG but I wanted to learn something about what I had for options with arc rods here. I am not a fan of MIG but sometimes don't have the time needed to do a proper surface prep so stick is the best way to go for me.