1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for the HR types

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, May 28, 2018.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

So, I got a couple of guys who work on Saturdays, one's regular day off is Wednesday, and the other is off Mondays.

Thing is, Memorial Day and Labor day are always Monday, not to mention last year Christmas & New Years were Mondays.

Thing is, the owner of the company takes the position that: "They are given the opportunity to make their paychecks whole by working on Saturdays, therefore they are owed no compensation for holiday pay if the holiday is on their regular day off".

I say bullshit.

What say you.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Does everyone else get holiday pay?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What if Christmas is on a Monday? Fourth of July?

Boss is a cunt very likely running afoul of employment laws. But IANAL.

4. auminer

Yep. Whatever commission their route would normally pay if they'd actually worked it.

So basically everyone else gets paid for not working Monday, but the Saturday workers get paid for working their regular Saturday. Everyone gets paid equally, but the Saturday workers have to work for theirs.

I suppose, though, if they did get holiday pay for Monday, AND worked their regular Saturdays, then they would be 'overpaid'.

It's inequitable no matter how we do it. This is just inequitable in the boss' favor.

5. auminer

Same situation. No holiday pay for Saturday guys.

And you've already revealed that you are anal... Quit bragging. :D

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So give him Saturday off with holiday pay them. You're owner is being a prick, and I assume going against employment laws.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

About sums it up.

ToofPic likes this.
  9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I just want to add that i got paid double time for working yesterday and am getting paid basically triple time for woking today. Work 16 hours, get paid for 40, then i will end up working 38 more hours this week.

10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I assume they are full time employees 8/40. If other employees get a paid 8 hours off for the holiday, the Saturday guys do too. So, shithead owner gives them a day off with pay, or pays them overtime.

ToofPic likes this.
  11. auminer

Is your company publicly traded, perchance?

I'm looking for a good short candidate...

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Is your boss a former Halliburton manager? That is the sort of shit they pull all the time. I think they may even have a course teaching them how to nickel and dime employees...

Shenanigans and Kyle Brosius like this.
  13. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

All oil and gas companies I’ve worked for do this to their employees... except Rice Energy and unfortunately they got bought.

crashman likes this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yeah I bet you do.

Shenanigans and eggfooyoung like this.
  15. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I ran 5 loads today,got paid double time.Holiday pays 8 hrs,and my normal pay for those same hrs.
    Driving jobs dictate your more than likely gonna work holidays,but Im not doing it,unless its paid double time.
    You cant hand out cake,and tell the other guys they get no cake.
    My dogs recognize when one is getting treats over another,and theyre just dogs.:flag:

Shenanigans likes this.
  16. Shenanigans

Daimler Trucks North America

ToofPic likes this.
  17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

that's horseshit. i get every other friday off, other dudes on our team every other monday (9-9's alternate work schedule every 2 weeks). if a holiday falls on that person's friday or monday, you get the day before or after off as well with pay.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

So what are you going to be spending all that money on ? A new bike ? :D

19. Shenanigans

Maybe

20. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Where I work, you get holiday pay if its a work day or not. Since I currently don't work Mondays, I will get holiday pay for today. The other guy at night that's working, gets normal pay Plus holiday pay.