1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for the Ducati Multistrada owners???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Jul 25, 2018.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok so I've grown a little bored of my current steed, a '12 Tiger Explorer, it's been an awesome bike, in fact, it's probably been my fav streetbike to date but still have my eye on the Multistrada and found someone local who might be interested in a trade.

My question is specific to their latest electronic suspension (Skyhook) vs their older manual suspension. I'm almost certain I want to hold off for the Skyhook but curious to hear from those with actual experience if it's worth it or not?

The one I'm looking at now is an older model 2011, with no electronic suspension.

Let's hear it!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, mine is electric but doesn't adjust on the fly which is what Skyhook does I believe.

XFBO likes this.
  3. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I had Ohlins cartridges for my forks. My cousin has the fancy electronic suspension. He commented after a very fast pace ride up the mountains he could not get his suspension dialed in good enough to keep pace. I was happy with my upgrade. I wasn't sold on the electronic stuff.

XFBO likes this.
  4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

FYI - not a big fan of Bloodworth's

XFBO likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did he ever have his resprung properly? Odds are it was that more than the settings.

6. Cam Morehead

I honestly don't know.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I only thought about that because I've had springs sitting in the basement waiting to go in/on mine for years now :D

8. Cam Morehead

I know a guy.... Ba ha ha.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I need to bring the suspension to the GNF or the like.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ha! Oddly enough, that's where this guy bought his MS. Any recommendations on a Duc dealership OR shop who works on them???

I just read an article this morning where it sounds like the biggest attribute to the Skyhook is the lack of pitching fore/aft especially if geared up OR riding 2up, they seem to say there's a big difference.

Can someone also confirm for me if in 2011 there was a standard AND S model? S having the Ohlins suspension at both ends? As this bike I'm pretty sure dos NOT have the Ohlins forks.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

What year is yours Mongo?

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Good quality classic suspension is better than OEM electronic stuff imo. Breaks less and it's less expensive to fix if it does.

Cam Morehead and XFBO like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, can't remember :crackup: I'll look when I get home.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'd normally agree with this all day long but when you consider the potential of different environments this thing is capable of riding in, I like the thought of it transitioning smoothly without stopping. I mentioned earlier about the huge difference it makes when load changes, that pretty darn cool imho.

lol.....I ask because during my research I heard some owners rave about the Ohlins ECU possibly matching the stock Skyhook set up. No clue what that costs but the Upton is there for those with the pre-SH electronic suspension.

15. Yeah, I’d have to lean towards something like that. I’ve heard/seen nothing but great reviews of the Skyhook system.

But the thing is (like you said), the spring rate needs to be correct, and geometry sorted first.

We played with the Ohlins EC on the 1299S and I liked it...but only after sorting the spring rates, ride heights, and wheelbase.

The ECS alters the dampening to account for different speeds, forces, etc. Suspension setup is always a game of getting the bike as good as it can be for as most of the track as you can, the just dealing with the rest. The ECS makes it so the bike can work well everywhere, regardless of speed/shape/bumps/etc of the corner.

BUT, you need a good baseline setup first. The idea is to get the bike sorted, THEN turn on the ECS. If you don’t manually fix the handling first, the ECS will just ensure you keep that same shitty handling all the time.

XFBO likes this.
  16. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Lots of experience with MTS1200s:

2010-2012 Electronic Ohlins - first gen stuff. It's ok. Better than the stock Showa stuff, but not by a wide margin. Proper cartidges (or even just a spring/revalve) in either forks would be a MUCH better option if you're willing to spend the money.

2013-2014 Sachs skyhook. This stuff was MUCH better than the first gen Ohlins equipment in terms of adjustability and the fact that it was a passive system that could be adjusted within a range on its own. The base model stuff on this model was acceptable - not great, not bad at all. I'm not sure if there is any aftermarket support for skyhook though (in terms of internal repalcement pieces, cartridges etc.). Again, the manual stuff with a good spring/valve/cartridge setup is still nicer feeling to me. One thing to keep in mind is the S models of this gen got the LED headlamps - much better than the base model halogen stuff.

In terms of reliability (suspension only) - the electronic stuff is bound to fail at some point. It may be cheap-ish to replace with used/takeoff parts, but buying new is very very costly. The manual stuff will be affordable and reliable forever. Either of these bikes is going to feel like a damn hot rod compared to a Tiger1200.

XFBO likes this.
  17. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I've put maybe 500 miles on my new to me 2014 Multi GT and I'm most impressed with the skyhook at this point. When I picked it up I got on a part of I35 here in KC that is concrete and you can feel every seem, thump thump, thump thump, etc. toggled over from sport to touring and it smoothed everything out instantly on the fly. Took she who must be obeyed out for a spin and and forgot to put in the two person set up, had her get off the bike, selected two person and the bike was much better. I also take advantage of the urban setting quite a bit too. That said, if I ever do a track day on it I think I'll be faster on the touring set-up, seems more plush and the fueling isn't as abrupt.

XFBO likes this.
  18. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

The Skyhook is pretty damn good and it keeps getting better. 2nd gen Skyhook from 2015-2017 is def improved over the 2013-2014.

How hard do you ride on the road?
    How often (If ever) do you ride with a passenger?

The skyhook really shines when you’re riding over rough pavement. You barely even feel it. I like the versatility of it. You can program it to be nice a smooth in Touring mode when cruising on the freeway, then firm in Sport mode when riding harder.

I believe the springs are fairly light in the forks and most could benefit from going a tad heavier.

As much as I like the Skyhook, the Ohlins set up on the 2016-2018 Pikes Peak is the business. If you don’t really ride passengers that often, the Ohlins is still the best. It’s just not as convenient as Skyhook. This set up is not to be confused with the 2010-2012 “S” model Ohlins. Different products.

If you’re kinda racy and don’t care about full color TFT display screens, cruise control, Bluetooth, etc...The move is to find a cheap 2010-2013 base model that already has full exhaust. Then have someone install cartridges, a good shock, M4 or M50 calipers and a good new set of rotors. Superlite 520 chain/sprockets, go up one tooth in the rear. Add a Healtech quickshifter and that fucker will rip. Oh yeah, then keep your eyes out for a set of 1098s or 1198S wheels.

XFBO likes this.
  19. If there’s one person with no excuse it’s you. How about this. I’ll come pick it up, drop it off at the gnf resprung free of charge :).

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. I know a guy who has Multi’s with the latest skyhook and one a year older (maybe a 2016 or so). We were actual,y talking about this last week. He said the skyhook equipped bike is his touring / commuter bike. Great with a heavy load including extra fuel etc. I don’t know exactly what springs he has but they are slightly heavier. He’s about 220 or so. He has a TtX and cart kit on the other bike and said to him it feels like night and day between the two even when ridden in same conditions with similar set ups and tires on the bikes. One thing i didn’t ask as people came into the conf room were geometry between the two. Knowing him I would also imagine he has more confidence in the Ohlins kitted bike so it will always feel better to him. He’s the same on his mx and enduro bikes. Always has two of everything and always seems to feel way better on one. Once I get the time I am going to take a road trip with him and hopefully swap bikes along the way a few times.

XFBO likes this.
  21. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

They're they only game in town. Luckily, I haven't had much that needed to be done on my Duc that I couldn't do, but if I did, I'd look into one of the places in the Atlanta area, or maybe up in Indy. Not for racing, mind you, but just because I've heard and seen better experiences.

XFBO likes this.