1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question - Flying International into Atlanta

Discussion in 'General' started by Robin172, Feb 19, 2019.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

So what's the best way to find deals on flights nowadays?

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Now you all have me thinking. It's been 30 years since I flew internationally ...what do I have to do other than show my passport? I've done the Pre-TSA stuff but I imagine that has nothing to do with international flying. I just want to be prepared.

I did look into this TTP stuff and there is no way I'm going through all that crap for one international flight.

3. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Passport and phone for me. I use Delta App and my tickets are displayed on my app so I dont even have to check in when I get to airport (no checked bags). I just walk to security and provide passport and scan phone. Traveling internationally is pretty easy these days. As for good prices on tickets, well it depends on where you go. My work pays for mine and I accrue miles that I use to fly my family around. From what I see, airline travel is not really cheap. Get your tickets months in advance and check the travel sites.

4. This depends on if you are going to a country requiring a visa or not. Example: even though I have visas for China and Brazil you u still cannot check in online as they have to be checked by the gate agent before they’ll even issue you a ticket.

sbk1198 likes this.
  5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I looked at Travelocity and Cheapoair to give me an idea on the cheapest price and then went to the airlines own website. I got a slightly better deal booking direct as I would have through the third party sites. Travelocity etc. only show the most basic prices and you have to pay extra for bags and choice of seat, booking with the airline I could get a ticket with a free checked bag and choice of seat for a little less than the price with the add-ons. I'm flying transatlantic so I don't know what it is like for other journeys.

One thing I did notice is that both of those sites seem to give preference to American Airlines flights.

418 likes this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

@418 Look and book on Tuesdays (same day action). Statisically the cheapest day of the week. If you look beforehand, do it with a different IP address ;)

I always look on kayak and then go to delta LOL sometimes i book through the app

Consider flying with a layover rather than direct if you wanna fly cheaper.
    Example: GSP-CLT-CAK and back is $340
    I could drive to CLT and fly from there (same destination, same flight) but it’d be $700

However, it may vary on popular routes and international trips.

418 likes this.
  7. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

True, there is a "passport check" when leaving a domestic flight with an international journey. Its been a while since I have gone to China and dont recall them checking my visa specifically. I know China wont let you in without one but dont remember the US checking. I know you Mr Canadian!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep thinking I'm biased because I'm used to ATL - then I go in and out of other airports that truly suck with way less people/flights and realize I have no idea what people are bitching about with ATL at all. They have the whole people moving thing down pat. Anyone giving themselves less than an hour leeway on a connection is causing their own issue not the airport.

JBall likes this.
  9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Mongo I agree. Accept when leaving out of country on Delta at my connection (Any airport) the outbound connection is usually 1 hour or even less. Which I like as its less wait time. There is a 3 hour layover once you go international that drags. This allows all the connecting flights time to get in and transfer to the next flight. Makes for a long day when traveling over 30+ hours.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm lucky that the vast majority of ours are direct from here to Vegas. Last layover I did was in Detroit, not a bad place to waste a couple hours.

11. I’m a US citizen as well. They check before they will ticket you as I’m sure they don’t want a bunch of people stuck in China they have to ship back. They did the same on my way to Brazil Sunday. I asked what the big deal was, I just wanted to go and get a wax job :).

12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

And avoid coming back on Fridays...that seems to be the most expensive. I recently checked tickets to Germany since I'll have to go there in May. Leaving here on Saturday and coming back the following Saturday is about $1300. Coming back on Friday though, it spikes up to $2900!! Both with Delta from and to same airports.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. sbk1198

Sometimes you don't get much of a choice. Many of my domestic flights with connection in Atlanta are either 40-50 minutes layovers, or like 3 hours. Most times I risk it and go with the short ones so I don't waste my life waiting in airports. Haven't missed one yet, but I've had to run to the gate a few times and was one of the last people to board lol Every now and then I see one that's about an 1:00 - 1:20 layover, which is perfect. Enough time to get some food if the flights are on time, or enough to not have to worry and run if I get in a bit late.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The ATL is big so peeps get confused fast. But IMHO the reason it can move so many peeps is because it works.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

I like the +/-3 days display on kayak for that!
    Gives you the full grid for departure and return dates

16. Deals on flights? I idea, mine are usually last minute. Just paid $11k to fly to Brazil and back :-(

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Brazil flights are pricey even if you book in advance. Usually not $11K expensive but seldom under $1.5K ~ $2K in the back of the plane round trip expensive. :(

Now China, you can get flights for less than what some people spend at Ruth Chris' for a dinner (without wine) for two. :crackup:

18. sbk1198

Yeah google flights does too. That's what I usually use...but then I go directly on Delta's site and book from there once I find what I need lol

Daaaaaaamn! That better be a 1st class ticket at that price!! :eek:

JBall likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah, same week prices are nuts!

20. Certainly not flying coach to Brazil...

Phl218 likes this.