1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about quick-shifters

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sbk1198, Sep 10, 2018.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

This might be a dumb question, but can a dynojet QS work as a standalone unit, or do you need to have a Power Commander for it? I've used them on 2 different bikes but always had a PCV that it plugged into, but just wondering if they can work without a PCV.

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

depends on your ECU flash.

the Yoshimura ECU, for example already has the programming in for a quick shifter.

3. sbk1198

So with a bone stock ECU, I take it that's not going to work?

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Depends on the model. Some DJ QS units are ignition cut, some are fuel cut. Some of the older ones required an ignition module to work. It might help if you mentioned the model of bike and the model of QS you are using. At that point you could of course just look at the DJ website and find out all the pertinent information as well :D

5. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Long story short you need something to interrupt the spark and/or fuel. So a stand alone unit, flash, or the whole power commander kit.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I think DJ sells 2 diff QS units, the QEM (expansion module) that must be used w/ a PCV and a stand-alone. most ppl have the QEM that ive seen.

Bazzaz's QS4 is stand-alone.

7. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

Flash your ECU. Send black wire on QS sensor to ground (tip over sensor for me). Send the red wire to pin #21 on the plug to the ECU (smaller of the 2).

Enjoy cut on all 8 injectors.

8. sbk1198

Pretty sure my bike doesn't have 8 injectors lol And I'm guessing all ECUs are different, so how do you know it's pin #21?

9. sbk1198

Hmm...I've never seen the standalone one then. Only Dynojet I've seen sells for like $220. That's what I had before and I just plugged it into the PCV.

10. sbk1198

The bike is a Ninja 400. But those Dynojet QS's are universal as far as I know, not bike specific.

11. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

I guess I just assumed you're talking about an R6. I don't think you specified.

On an R6, there are 4 on the throttle bodies and 4 in the airbox. Upper and lower injectors.

From the Melkman himself: http://www.proflowtech.com/2012/05/removing-yamaha-r6-injectors/

I did a quick google search, found the massive thread on the R6 forum indicating its pin #21

12. sbk1198

Lol...why do so many people assume everyone rides an R6? lol

But I did find the standalone version from Dynojet. I hadn't seen it before, always just seen the regular ones that plug into the PCV. So I guess that answers my question.

Plain1984 likes this.
  13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

OK, I'll glom onto this thread with another QS question......I just changed my new GSXR1000R from standard to GP shift. The bike comes with a blipper in both directions. I kind of "assumed" that in addition to flopping the upper shift arm I'd also have to reverse the strain gauge module. Lo and behold I tried it without reversing the strain gauge and it seems to work just fine. Apparently the "magic" happens somewhere else. So am I going to destroy this thing or is everything just fine (except my understanding....) :confused:

14. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

my annitori quick shifter cuts spark in either direction so gp shift is mechanical not electrical, no need to flip the strain gauge. sounds like your OEM is the same. i believe the newer annitori bluetooth models have the ability to change settings based on direction, you may look into that on yours.