1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about attending WERA race school

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Sudowoodo, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

I want to get into racing for 2022 and looked at the provisional 2022 race schedule. I'm leaning towards attending a WERA race weekend that also has a race school, probably 2/19 Talladega or 3/19 Roebling Road. How does registration work for the race school and then the following races? Is there a way I register ahead of time, or do I just show up to the event? I'm sure this has been answered before but I was unable to find anything.

I've never held a motorcycle race license before and am completely new to this. I have an R3 that's already 95% prepped and just needs a steering stabilizer to pass tech. It looks like the classes I'll race in would be E & F Superstock. Thanks ahead of time for any info!

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I'm sure Sean (Mongo) will be along to provide info on registration. Generally you can do everything you need to at the track.

Glad you're going for it! The race school will help get out some of the nerves, and the WERA staff and fellow racers are always happy to help out.

Patrick Hannigan and Sudowoodo like this.
  3. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

Just show up and be at registration early Saturday am. If you dont have any friends that are racing, try to find someone to pit with. It will help out tremendously on being squared away and take some of the pressure off. Ill probably be at both weekends. If you dont have someone to pit with, DM me and you can hang out with us.

Patrick Hannigan and Sudowoodo like this.
  4. Sudowoodo

Thanks for the help. I may take you up on your offer. None of my friends have transitioned to racing yet.

Itey likes this.
  5. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Tracks and race weekend schedules may vary but, I believe, when the race school ends and you (hopefully) have your certificate, you can register and tech that same day. At least that was my experience.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Make it easy on yourself… Pre register and set up your pits Friday PM… Get your bike Teched early …pass the class before Noon .. do the mock race and then race Sat and Sunday after your approved without wrecking…Most of all have fun and ask people for help if you need it…

7. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

For some reason, I dont think you can pre-enter your first weekend.

DmanSlam likes this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You used to be able too….

9. Sudowoodo

It doesn't seem like it's possible now.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

email Sean [email protected] Im positive you can get alot of the paperwork out of the way so you can at least get a competition # and get your bike prepped.

11. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I'll throw out the same offer. We'll be in the same races (provided expert & novice grid together) so that might make things a little more comfortable. All I ask is ignore my bad habits and have fun.

Itey and Sudowoodo like this.
  12. Sudowoodo

I appreciate it!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can get your membership handled ahead of time and pre enter the races you want to run - but you will need to enter the school at the track Saturday morning (you can pick up your pre entry at the same time. You just can't race until you pass the school but you can get entered. If you're doing the school or you're a Provisional Novice pre entering do not click that you want to rent a transponder, we'll have enough no matter what and the online setup will charge for it but it's free to PNs.

DmanSlam and Sudowoodo like this.
  14. Sudowoodo

Got it. Thanks! I'll submit the new member form now.

15. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

16. Sudowoodo

17. Sudowoodo

Well, I didn't make it out to Tally or Roebling as I honestly wasn't comfortable enough yet. Did a couple weekends at Jennings and am running in intermediate there now, with a consistent 1:36~ on my R3. I have a lot to work on still but I definitely feel comfortable enough now to do my first race weekend. So, I'll be coming out to the Barber July 2-3 event and then the following Tally event hopefully, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Others can likely give you a number but expect that 1:36 to drop significantly racing vs track day. Also safe lines and last is still a good way to learn FWIW. Alternatively go watch and see things in the pits. Not as intimidating then when you are doing it (what I did). YMMV.

Good luck, stay safe and have fun.

Sudowoodo, mpusch and tempestm like this.
  19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Take the race school. The knowledgable person running that show will have a much better idea if you are ready or not. If you pass, you are ready.

I've been mentoring a friend that wanted to get into racing. He was still turning Intermediate times on a 600 when he passed his race school and completed his first race weekend. An R3 in the same group likely takes a bit more skill. He did 3 races, managed to have a battle or two, and felt really accomplished. We were all nervous our first race weekend. Don't sell yourself short and don't let those feelings stop you from starting this amazing hobby (obsession).

sheepofblue, Sudowoodo and joec like this.
  20. Sudowoodo

I think I'm already obsessed. I've loved motorcycles and racing since I was kid, but it's taken me 28 years to finally take the plunge. I was too engrossed in the undersides of old crusty BMWs to realize I like bikes way more.

Also, I'm thankful for how helpful everyone has been. Most of my questions and concerns were answered before I even had them.

stangmx13 and mpusch like this.