1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality rear sets?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DivineStrike, Jan 4, 2021.

1. DivineStrike

DivineStrike Member

I know this is like asking what oil people prefer lol but...

It seems it may be time for new rear sets. The ones I have are Diablo Racing (which go figure are out of business now ) and they are noticeably bent inward toward the bike. I kept them in the lowest and most aft position. Originally got these because of the “lifetime” warranty and were not terribly priced on the realm of rear sets, and my stockers decided to not “fold” while taking a corner on a track day and lifted my rear tire off the ground. Subsequent low side destroyed the left peg. They cost Somewhere in the $400 range.

So looking for some thoughts and experiences with rear sets that won’t bend from use. When I was more actively riding, I was 145lbs. Now I’m anywhere from 155 to 175 depending on how my diet is going... and well let’s just say I’m on the upper end of that now lol

2. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Vortex
    Woodcraft
    Attack
    Not in any particular order. I'm sure there are others but here's where I would start.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There are other nice ones too for more money, but unless you have a need for bling, no point in spending more than what a set of Woodcraft cost.
    The teeth on my Attack pegs were super sharp when new, to the point that when loading the bike on my open trailer while wearing shorts they drew blood on my shins a couple of times. No need for that as my feet don't slip on the Woodcraft or Vortex pegs and my boot soles last longer too. Attack may have changed their design as that was about 13 years ago.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im a fan of vortex adjustables but the pegs leave room to be improved. The original vortex pegs with the raised lip and mild knurled peg surface were awesome. Woodcraft is similar in finish. Vortex has parts fiches so replacement parts are easy to order.

5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I’ve used lots (all of the above mentioned) and Attack consistently had the best fit and finish as well as quality and feel for shifting and things like that. The anodization always lasts longer than the woodcraft stuff too. eBay junk is very hit and miss.

If attack makes the product you’re looking for, it’s probably the best product in that given category. At least that’s been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DivineStrike

DivineStrike Member

Yea looking at y’all’s recommendations, I really like the attacks more “flat” foot peg. I also really like the WCs minimal adjustability and being more designed at optimum height to avoid scraping. Ever since I went down (even though I haven’t ridden enough in recent years) I’ve just been slightly anxious about foot pegs scraping.

attack knurling seems to mimick/be more aggressive than stock while WC seems pretty tame. Without seeing the WCs in person, i would be concerned about grip in street boots. I’d assume on track with good boots on it wouldn’t be a concern as I’m sure it’d be a wide complaint if it were.

i also like that if the WCs get bent they could potentially be straightened back. Also, seeing as the foot peg adjustment utilizes a two bolt system, the peg won’t spin. (Which is something my current set sometimes does. Also like less parts on the shifter linkage.

Decisions decisions

7. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Attack or Vortex for me. The older Vortex felt better in my opinion, these new V2's kinda suck.

Attack has some sharp pegs. Careful when you unload.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I miss the older, simpler Woodcraft designs. Fewer pieces, no bends/curves/artistic flair, just pure function.

Pepsi Drinker likes this.
  9. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I’ve gone down on both sides with my WoodCrafts and one of the designs I like best is the way the foot pegs are made. They generally break off mid length with just enough force not to bend the rearset main plate and still leave you enough peg to continue racing. You can always replace it after a race or race weekend.

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I have used Vortex and Woodcraft. Both are quality, but I prefer Vortex. A buddy of mine prefers Woodcraft. You can't go wrong with either one.

11. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I really like the big peg on the Evol rear sets. When you’ve got your foot on the outside edge there’s lots of peg under your boot and traction has never been an issue. Don’t think I’d go back to a skinny style peg actually.

12. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

SATO arent bad either, but parts arent easily found trackside like Woodcraft and Vortex. that being said, i've switched from Vortex to Woodcraft. i feel the design and R&D behind them is better.

13. DivineStrike

DivineStrike Member

those sato look very similar to my Diablo racing pair. I’d say I’m leaning towards the woodcraft. Only real complaint I can maybe foresee actually being an “issue” is not pivot bearing for the shifter or brake lever.

now since they are made of slightly softer aluminum alloy has anyone encountered any bending due to normal use and not a fall?

14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

they make the toe levers on pivots. they're just not included in the rearset kits, but i have them on both sides on my woodcraft rearsets

15. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I have attacks and they are great. I've had a bunch of crashes and just had to order new pegs instead of the whole thing. Money well spent.

Driven are cheaper but they gave me a bunch of trouble on my BMW.

Avoid anything chinese or eBay. All garbage.

Use lock tite.