1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q4 vs GPA Pro

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dansvs, Jun 13, 2019.

1. dansvs

dansvs Active Member

Anyone have any track experience with Q4s vs the GPA pro?
    Just got a new bike for the track(GSXR 750) and need tires.
    I typically time at 1:50s at VIR north.

2. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

At that pace, the Q4 will do you much better in grip, retaining heat and inspiring confidence. GPA is a race tire and needs additional heat from a faster pace.

cajun636 and rcarson15 like this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Agreed.....running 1:50's on North you don't need race tires, Q4's will be more than enough. You could run more than 10 seconds faster per lap on Q4's no problem.

4. dansvs

dansvs Active Member

Thanks for your input Guys.
    Hope to break 150 coming from an sv650

5. palomartian

palomartian Member

Then get the GPAs and hammer it.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

No.
    The Q4 is the best Dunlop has to offer for a track bike.
    No warmers necessary. Your sessions aren't long enough to turn them to grease as easily as the Q3s got greasy and you'll have to hammer that 750 a lot harder than a 1:50 to get 'em greasy. They won't last as long as Q3s but they'll definitely last longer than GPAs. They have the Q tire price.

Every rider I know on GPAs has crashed on that tire, even after as many as 4-5 laps into it. GPAs are a shit track tire. They cool off too quickly...if you get held up for any length of time then get back into it like nothing happened, it's gonna happen. GPAs are the debil.

If you want to consider an alternative to the Q4, check out Pirelli's new TD tire.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Hated the GPAs that came on my new to me 2004 SV 650. I ran advanced track day pace and on a cold morning with a green track, I couldn't keep the heat in them for the first two sessions. It was not fun. I am back on my favorite Pirelli Superbike slicks (yeah, probably overkill for my pace, but I love the grip, feel and safety margin they provide) and I have no problem keeping heat in them on a cool morning session. They may not come off the track piping hot on a cool early morning session, but they at least keep the temps that they had on the warmers or close enough that they work well and don't lose 2lb of pressure like the GPAs did.