1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q3 track wear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Murcielago311, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

Lost the rear like I was on ice on a left-hander last track day. Noticed the tire wear has a distinctly different looking (much smoother) area on the left edge after cooling down. Is this from over-heating/over-working a non-race tire? Is this what it means when people say q3s can get greasy when hot?

Pressures were 30/29 cold. gsxr 600. pointy end of intermediate group. About 85 deg out. track is mostly lefts. Fifth out of six sessions. thanks.
    IMG_20170825_220612.jpg IMG_20170825_220618.jpg

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

no way that tire was overworked or overheated. id think the opposite is much more likely.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Was gonna say that tire looks like a Sunday morning mountain ride.

4. Murcielago311

I was six seconds off race pace, but you're right, they weren't showing wear like I've seen with slicks.
    I just thought it was odd to have a stripe of different texture on the most worked part of the tire and didn't know what might cause it.

5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I don't think that's unusual, especially for dual compound tires.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd say you got more lean angle as your confidence grew throughout the day and ended up on that ridge that developed from earlier riding, narrowing your contact patch from a melon to a banana.

7. stangmx13

You mentioned the left edge in the first post. The edge is not the most worked part of the tire. The drive portion is the most worked.

The smooth band on the left edge is probably from you not using it.

I doubt the tires had anything to do w your crash. Without video, we'll never know.

8. stangmx13

Given how smooth and minimal the wear is, I seriously doubt this. The profile prob hasn't changed at all. On top of that, tires flex. A tiny change in the profile shouldn't reduce the contact patch enough for an intermediate group rider to lack grip.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  9. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

29/30 is a bit low for a Q3.
    Not much, and not enough to cause a crash, but they like 32/32-ish

Murcielago311 likes this.
  10. Murcielago311

I'll be on Ntecs with warmers next time out.
    Gopro went straight into a hay bale and lost the footage but here's a pic in the same corner a couple laps previous. I know that doesn't tell much.

Thanks for the things to think about guys.

256A4225.jpg

11. Murcielago311

maybe it did get a bit warm, then.

12. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I used Q3's on a s1000rr and I ran 33/31 and it wore like I needed more air.
    I'm at the pointy end of advanced on a street bike.
    Used the Pirelli Sp's on Saturday and a MUCH better tire. Didn't have the confidence with the Q3's.