1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pw50 vs...

Discussion in 'General' started by wera176, Jun 4, 2003.

1. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Ok, the little dude is turning 4 this fall and I am planning to get him a motorbike (who needs a bicycle anyhow? ;) ) Anyhow, I know many of you have little ones who have bikes, so what do you have and what do you like/dislike about it? I'd like for the bike to be able to do the dirt track thingy at Lawrenceburg if he decides to, so keep that in mind.... New or excellent shape used (see race at Lawrenceburg!)

Bikes that I am considering:

PW50 - everyone seems to have 'em, must be something to it...
    RM50 - I have a Suzuki, and I like the looks of the RM...
    KX50 - It's a RM50 I think, looks cool though...
    PY50 - Yamoto makes 'em. Supposed to be part for part the same as the PW50 but like $250 less for a new one. What gives? A dealer here has new ones for $850. Anyone know anything about them?

I think the ZR50 is too big for a 4 year old. That's what I had when I was like 8! Opinions?

Mini-bikes are just too dangerous! Don't ask me how I know! :eek:

His b-day is aways away, but as you guys already know, thinking about the purchase is almost as much fun as the purchase! ;)

2. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

PW50(Yamaha) or the JR50(Suzuki).

Don't go with the RM65 or the KX65. Two stroke racers. Not sure where you are getting the RM50 and KX50 deal - no such beasts. Unless, they are new and going against the KTM market (I've been out of the mini loop awhile).

The Z50 isn't around anymore - it has been replaced with the XR50. Problem for a little guy with no experience is the fact the XR is a three speed auto-clutch. He'll have enough time dealing with just going let alone going and shifting. Although, he could use just one gear and learn up to shifting...

Stay away from the Korean shit. Deal is the patents are up on stuff like the PW50's motor and the 50cc fourstroke Honda motor so, there are copies out there. Problem is the parts. Even though they are the same looking and acting motors, the parts are sometimes different fit, etc.

The PW and JR are automatics with shaft drives. Equals no maintanance. Get a set of training wheels and you're good to go.

Our little boy is 3-1/2 and has been riding his since spring and is getting really good. Your child will love the mini.

3. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

You'll have to excuse my late night posts... You're right, it's a JR50 (but you knew that! ;) ) The KX50 (KDX50) is a redressed JR50 from what I can tell (seen here: http://www.kawasaki.com/index2.asp) kinda cool looking...

I had a Z50... The XR50 looks like the same bike mechanically (?)...

Thanks for the reply! I take it your young un' has a PW?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

PW50. I really like the whole setup Yamaha has for the kids bikes, going from the PW50 which has just brakes and throttle to the PW80 which adds shifting but no clutch, to the TTR's with a clutch added in. Makes it easier for the kid to learn in steps and work on bike control over learning the bikes controls.

5. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Maybe I should buy a PW50. :D

6. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I'll add that the PW50 is a shaft drive also, the JR and KDX are chain drive. Wouldn't want little fingers and toes to get in a chain.

7. wherewebelong

wherewebelong Well-Known Member

I am on Kid Two on a PW

I bought a 99 for my son two years ago he mastered it easily. It has a low seat hieght as well for the vertically challenged. It has two different speed controls (a throttle set screw and a exhaust restrictor) that work pretty well. My son has grown out of it and now its on to my daughter. She learned to ride her bicycle without training wheels on a Monday and by Thursday was blasting around on the PW:rolleyes:
    The only neg I can think of is the swing arm is a little cheezy but seems to work ok. I believe the Honda is a better machine but I purposely didnt buy one so Dad wouldnt be tempted to comendere it as a pit bike. The PW is a little whimpy for an adult.

8. Tracee Polcin

Re: I am on Kid Two on a PW

Mine does fine for me.:D

9. 418

418 Expert #59

Posted by Loopy :

They're fun as hell. I've ridden couple of them and although I look like a fool on one..... but the FUN vs. MPH ratio can't be beat.

And you can get your knee down in the parking lot...LOL...:D

10. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Re: Re: I am on Kid Two on a PW

Do you have a pink/white one like mine? :)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Re: Re: I am on Kid Two on a PW

He said adults....

:Poke:

12. Tracee Polcin

Re: Re: Re: I am on Kid Two on a PW

The first slay of the morning, huh?:D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: I am on Kid Two on a PW

Yep!

Made me laugh almost as much as rereading the how to contact me thread did. :D

14. puresportsdesigns

puresportsdesigns Yea, I guess

LEM 50

My 10 year old daughter has an LEM 50. It looks a lot like a KTM and has a nice suspension. She is a little big for it so I expect Santa to do something about that. It will be a perfect 'hand-me-down' for my two year old son.

[​IMG]

15. cbr92901

cbr92901 Well-Known Member

I've got a 2000 XR-50 and I'm 43!!!!!!!

I like the XR 'cause the seat is long and I don't feel so cramped on it. My daughter is 3 now and I can ride her around on it with her sitting in front of me - she loves it! She'll eventually inherit it....maybe, if my fat a$$ doesn't tear it up first.

16. mwike

mwike Well-Known Member

I recently bought a Chingzing (or something like that - made in China) that's a z50r knockoff. It was 795 new - worth every penny.

17. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

If anyone interested I know of a PW50 for sale. 2002 model. Very good shape. Asking 800.00. Probably get for less though.

18. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Re: LEM 50

You go girl!:cool: I'm always excited to see little girls ride well. Except for mine of course. I'm distracting her with Ballet lessons this summer.;) :D

19. Tracee Polcin

Re: Re: LEM 50

That was a photo shopped pic, Laurie. Look at the wheels, they don't match the background. And what caused her to shoot skyward?

20. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Re: Re: Re: LEM 50

TraceeSue, you have to excuse L.A she's blonde... :)