1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW50 Kart Riding / Racing

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by RayRay, Oct 5, 2022.

1. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

Hey party people, just wanted to be a typical Dad and post this on the forum. My daughter is progressing extremely fast and we are getting fully vested into her racing. Just wanted to share some pics of her and if anyone has questions about modifying the PW for Kart riding.

We are located in SoCal in case any folks want to meet up and ride.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Sudowoodo and pro69ss like this.
  2. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

One more

Attached Files:

Sudowoodo likes this.
  3. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

Ok one more...lol

Attached Files:

Sudowoodo likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Cool. Enjoy the ride. How old is she? Is the NSR50 class still a big class on the local mini scene?

RayRay likes this.
  5. LuckyV4

LuckyV4 Member

Thats awesome. I’m located in SoCal as well, OC. Just picked up a CRF50 for my son. I’ll be putting some new tires and bars on it this week and I believe we’ll be heading out to Apex next Saturday. My name is Joe. Shoot me a PM if you’d like to connect.

RayRay likes this.
  6. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

Thanks dude....she just turned 8. She's been riding for about a year. I have taken it slow with her, 1st 6months or so was learning proper track safety and how to hold a line and be predictable.... now we are working on riding; and she is killing it.

SoCal is mostly 150's and 450's...NorCal has more of the 2-stroke mini's and NSR's etc....

7. Boman Forklift

@LuckyV4 how old is your son?

@RayRay and @LuckyV4 do you guys have bikes to go around with your kids, or are you walking the track?

That was one of the best things when my son was coming up, being able to go stand out at different corners and watch what they are doing and be able to provide feedback. You don't get to do that at the big tracks.

Not sure if they still do it, but over the winter Adams used to have weekly motorcycle nights and they turned the lights on until 9pm. We hit that every Tuesday for a winter one year, when my son was riding NSR50's, and that really helped him improve. The next year we still hit it a couple times a month.

I think it was somewhere between $35-50, but this would have been in the 07-10 timeframe. If they don't do it any longer, call up and ask for Troy Adams, and ask him how many people you would need to commit, for him to try it again for you guys? We used to get 3-15 people showing up pretty regularly. One night we were there, and all 3 Hayden brothers showed up riding their bikes.
    Once you get into it more, I would encourage you to go up there and race too. IMO riding a 2 stroke is much better for your child to develop. Not that they can't develop on a 4 stroke, but the two stroke makes them learn how to keep up the roll speed, whereas a 4 stroke you can easily cover up your mistakes by yanking on the throttle and torqueing out of the corner.

8. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

Agreed 100% Her PW is a 2-stroke, and we are training on maintaining speed through the corners. I also have a Polini for her.... I have yet to get her on it because they are crazy little bikes. She will be using it for parking lot drills etc...

She has two races coming up, she did a flat track race and loved it, however she got smoked by souped up PW's......I have since remedied this problem lol.

I ride with her on the track, and I also station myself on the track to watch and go over with her the things I see. You have to focus on 1-2 things at a time. If you bog them down with too much the day is ruined because they can't focus. The main thing is we are having fun as a family. The wife and other siblings are just as invested, and we have a ton of fun. If she pursues this and gets to a point where she can be competitive then I will make the investment to race. If not, we are creating some awesome family memories that I am very grateful for.

Attached Files:

SuddenBraking and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

I also ride with her to gauge the level of beginners and make sure there are no idiots on the track before I send, her solo. You would be surprised on how many idiots think it's cool to stuff an 8yr old in the corner.... this usually brings out A-hole dad lol

10. Boman Forklift

Not surprised at all, unfortunately I've seen it. Glad you can go out with her too, I was going to offer the loan of a KX65 so you could ride with her, but you are all set. Glad you are out there having fun and making memories. Truly some of the best times I've had in my life with my dad and with my son.

Also if there are too many crazies out there, get the track to do sessions, where the little bikes go out and then a session for the 150/450 guys. Even if your daughter is the only one, if you have idiots out there, don't worry about their track time, protect your daughter and don't feel bad about it. Although I found, you could usually talk to the faster guys beforehand and they had no problem giving the young ones more room.

11. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

I truly appreciate the offer. I've been wanting a KX65 already built ....hint hint....lol

Oh yeah, I have no problem calling it and splitting the sessions. When I hear the moaning, I usually just say learn how to pass safe and not be a jack ass and we can go back to everyone riding in the beginners. I give zero f*cks about others time if they are idiots... most of the fast guys love riding with her so they always back us up. There have been many sessions where she is the only one out.

But yes; all in all, these memories are all I have ever wanted. I have 3 girls and to have at least one say "Dad...I want to ride" was one of the happiest moments. If she wants to be the next Kayla Yaakov I have no problem investing and at least doing the damn thing once.

We shall see.

Boman- You should come out to Apex sometime. Cheers bud.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Sorry I've been away dealing with family stuff, my FIL passed away. It is all good, he was 90 and lived an amazing life. I hope I die as well as he did. He was fully independent and living a great life until 1.5 weeks before he passed.

@RayRay that will happen at some point. You can borrow the KX sometime if you like. I don't want to sell the running one. What was the bike you were on?

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Samesies - other than your 8 year old, what are the other two ages?

Sorry about your FIL :(

14. Boman Forklift

Thank you brother.

You can borrow it too!!!:D You just have to fly out here, but hey if you plan it right, I will pick up up at the airport.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  15. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

@Bowman- sorry to hear about your loss. 90 is a long time! Glad he lived life! I have a CRF150R. Set up perfectly for me on 12" tires. I love this thing. This past Sunday I was @ Buttonwillow. Sunday Mini riding and Monday big bike...hell of a weekend!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

17. Boman Forklift

Ah a 150r is better. I had one that my son rode and I was going to prep and it was stolen last October.

18. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

Yeah. Its dialed in for my weight and riding. It's a great bike to train on and ride with the kiddo. We have been traveling to all the Kart tracks....tons of fun. We will be at Apex this Saturday if you would like to join / hang out.

19. Boman Forklift

Some time over the winter I will do that. Not this weekend, mama has me booked with her.

20. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

All good bud. I'll hit you up from time to time.

Ray