1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putnam WERA National Challenge (the rolling chicane)

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by wrenn, Jun 5, 2001.

1. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

Race Report: Putnam Park Road Course WERA National Challenge, June 3-4, 2001

Conditions: Cool, windy and partly sunny.
    Track: Putnam is a flowing 10 turn course with pretty good runoff and very nice pavement.

Saturday: The track began drying from the previous days rain. As I went out to learn the track, I couldn’t really tell which parts of the pavement were wet and which were dry. I rode around and tried to figure out which way the track went. Putnam has some elevation change and is a track I could really begin to enjoy, but it’s also hard to see where the pavement goes and there really is not much in the way of reference points. I began to get consistent lap times but could not get consistent lines in the turns. I felt like a rolling chicane for most of the practice sessions. Chip from CSA Endurance was doing the endurance race by himself and asked if I would ride during his mandatory 30-min stop. Since this was extra track time under race conditions I was glad to help…I just hoped my lap times wouldn’t hurt his position too much. The endurance time helped me gain some confidence but I am still struggling. When I was following some of the usual endurance suspects Vesrah, Pennzoil, AOD, Chaos and even the lizards I seemed to pick up the line in several turns and it felt much better. Then I would trail off and struggle again…(of course I could only follow these guys through 1-3 turns then they pulled on away. The guys are giving me thumbs up when they go around me so either I’m doing ok or just being really easy to go by and they are saying thanks.)

Sunday: I’m slower than the field and can’t seem to find the speed. I can see it is there, I’m still not pushing enough, still getting used to the feel of the new bike. I know I will not be running up front so I decided not to spend money on new tires this weekend. So let’s look at the individual races…

600 Superstock: I started in the 2nd wave. I pretty much chickened out on the start and slugged my way into last place. My GSXR600 with stock everything (suspension, brake lines, exhaust header, electronics and gearing) just does not seem to work for me yet. I needed different gearing and suspension improvements. I was either screaming the motor or lugging it…something I could get away with on the TL-R but not the new 4-cyl. Looks like I will have to invest in some sprockets (soon). I rode around and began to get comfortable with the adjustments I made to the compression damping and trying to get my head back into race mode. I could see two bikes getting closer toward the last few laps. Each time I exited turn 7, I could see them much closer. Mark Junge and Chris ‘Opie’ Caylor were battling for first and I was not going to mess that up. [​IMG] I stayed tight out of turn 7 and lets them have their race through turn 8and then followed them through turns 8 & 9 trying to see their entrance for 9. With a checker on race 3, I went back to the pits for some gas for race 5.

750 Superstock: Well this one I didn’t have to slug my way backwards as I started last and held on to it. At least I was able to actually race a few laps this time. And although Glenn Zarek was riding well I managed to pick up the pace enough not to get lapped this time. [​IMG]

So I got to see a great track and have fun and didn’t hurt anything, now I just have to regain my confidence to ride with these guys…at this point I can only get faster!!!!

Congrats to Mark Junge on a new track record, Team Pennzoil on another overall endurance win and all the participants that had a great showing. Thanks to the WERA officials and cornerworkers for putting on another great and safe weekend.

Tune in for the Roebling event next week

2. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

Wrenn:

I enjoy reading these reports...keep um coming for us guys who wish we had more dedication to get to the track more often.

Kendall

3. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

no problem Kendall...i plan to keep writing them. (and hoping to hear from who's reading them) anyway, see you at roebling, VIR or CMP?

4. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

See ya at CMP. Are you going to the Performance track day Monday 6/18?

What year is that Suzuki 600?

5. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

see you there, no and 2001 [​IMG]

6. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

Great report Wrenn! That was a beautiful facility huh? Keep up the good work and good luck with your racing.

jeff

7. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

Great report, Wrenn! I just noticed this new section of the BBS today. Looking forward to hearing your next report! [​IMG]

8. PKS

PKS Happiness is belt fed!

New section? LOL, Beth, it's not new and most of the race reports are a very enjoyable read. Good job Wrenn!

9. mad brad

mad brad Guest

howdy wrenn!DOC

10. MR-MICROPHONE

Hey, maybe I should start doing reports here. ??????????????????

11. Comet117

Comet117 Well-Known Member

I thought you sounded that way only on the P.A. until I met you in person !! [​IMG]

12. MR-MICROPHONE

Joe, you're a funny guy!! But looks aren't everything! HEHE [​IMG] I sound that way in person, huh? It's a talent I guess, or you bumped your head again!! :P