1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulling a 6-7K lb boat from water using Honda Pilot.

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Sep 10, 2018.

?

Will the Pilot do the job

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Probably yes

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. Probably no

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

The purpose is self sufficiency. Tow vehicle is a standard 2012 Pilot with V6. Towing capacity is 4500 or 5000. Pilot has 7 pin connector and trailer has brakes. Boat and trailer weigh a comined 6 to 7k lbs, depending if we leave fuel in boat and weight of trailer. Estimating 800 lbs for trailer. Just need to back the trailer into the water (concrete ramp), attach the boat and pull it out of the water. Then tow over flat back roads about 5-7 miles. The pulling out of the water is the primary question.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I see folks w/2WD or under powered vehicles use the boat motor to help get started up the ramp.

Assuming it has surge brakes check them and make sure they work. Unplug harness from truck and try to back up............if you can, they are not working.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Don't get caught or get in an accident, but if it's AWD or 4x4 it should get the job done.

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

6. Borrow a truck.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't want to be "that guy" lol. Also not doing anything prefaced with the phrase "hold my beer" although did think about using the boat motor. Not sure about the getting caught part, don't know the rules. I will leave that up to my friend.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

On a more serious note it depends on the condition of the ramp and the water level. A higher water level with a clean no alge covered ramp will be much easier. And it depends on the ramp angle too! IMHO

9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

We talking a shallow coastal ramp or some of these mountainside ramps around N GA?

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

One time just to get it home? Sure

On a regular basis? Not for very long without needing the transaxle replace on a regular 10k mile interval.

It is smart money to service the trans on those every 30k regardless of pulling the SS Minnow around or not. With Honda fluid...

JJJerry and Gorilla George like this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm sure it'll do it but I'm glad you're using your SUV instead of mine :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Depends on the ramp... if it’s wet at all NO Way with FWD..

13. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I went with "probably yes" if it's just a one time thing, water level is good and that ramp has no algae on it. Aren't pilots FWD biased though?

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't forget the weight of the water you will be pulling out when calculating the load.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you don't forget the drain plug when you put it in there shouldn't be any real water weight :D

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Traction will be your problem on any single pullout, not strength. Like @turner38 said, however, it's gonna chew up your driveline quick.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...you are in and out of the boat, you will always pick up a bit. Not much relative to 7k pounds, but when you are already over vehicle max, it counts.

18. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Is the Pilot front wheel drive or all wheel drive? That front wheel drive might not do so well on the incline of the boat ramp with the load on the rear.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  19. More of this will depend on tongue weight and ramp angle / condition. There are ramps around here I’m glad I have a Jeep with 35” M/T’s on it while pulling a Jon boat out of and others are basically a bit over idle pulling the boat out. Traction will be your biggest concern and I’d be damn sure to have someone in the boat with the motor running ready to put it in gear if you slide back. Overall for a one time thing probably not a big deal but depends on the ramp, concrete or not. For just pulling a boat out and going 5-6 mikes borrow or rent a proper truck, not even worth screwing around. And if you get in an accident you are screwed.

20. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

You can rent a truck from U-Haul,Budget or Home Depot for $20 plus like $0.80/ mile. It’ll pull it and it’ll stop it.

G2G and Cam Morehead like this.