1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTV Interference issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Marcmcm, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

THis is definitely not a race bike but there are a lot of smart guys here. I'm helping a friend replace the head gaskets on his son's 1986 700 Honda Magna. Heaqds are back on and timing is set and triple checked. When I set the valve clearance and rotate the engine both front cylinders have PTV interference on the intake side only. I've tried flipping the cam 180 degrees, resetting the timing and I'm out of ideas. The timing is dead on with the reference marks on the cam sprockets flat across the heads surface. Any ideas?

2. Filterboy

Filterboy Well-Known Member

Is the crank in proper position when the cams are aligned as
    per the Honda Service Manual?

3. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Dead set at the T2.4 mark on the case mark.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's been a long time - aren't the rear cylinders 2 and 4?

5. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

2 and 4 are up front, 1 and 3 are the rear.

6. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Use the manual. Did you rotate one revolution when setting timing on second set?

7. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

As in set the timing on the rear bank then rotate one revolution without the cams on the front cylinder then install and set the timing on the front cylinder bank?

8. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Try this site for the manual. http://www.carlsalter.com/

I was wrong you turn it a quarter turn, and use T1 and T2 marks

From long experience, don't do cam timing without a manual. Unless your mind is far better than mine.

9. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I have the manual and have followed it to the T, which is why I don't understand the PTV issues. I have to be missing something obvious...

10. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Miss a tooth? That will do it

11. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Probably just going to go back and reset the timing on both cylinder banks and reset valve clearances. Good thing I made my buddy and his son pull the plugs and turn it over by hand before they decided to crank her over. They had everyting buttoned up, full of fluids and ready to crank!