1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA - Left Side Hand Guards

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Chip

Chip Registered

Right side brake lever guard became popular a few years ago after incidents like the last lap Daytona 200 crash in 2011. MotoGP made brake lever guards mandatory in 2012 and now everybody runs a right side brake lever guard.

Only a few companies make left side hand guards and my initial thought was "who cares if I smash a clutch lever into somebody." Well, I fell down at Roebling in May with a simple low side and my left pinkie finger got caught between the bar and the track. It was only for split second, but it was enough to destroy the end of my pinkie. I truly believe that if I had a left hand guard, I would have been riding that afternoon.

If you don't have one, I would highly recommend looking into one.

#savethepinkies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

DaveK likes a well placed pinkie.

joec, SpeedyE and Phl218 like this.
  3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you give someone the surprise pinky and they cough.

blake holt, Joe Lopez and SpeedyE like this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So basically, bark busters?

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I didn't think much of it when I order the set of Woodcraft hand guards but I figured since I had them both I'd install them both. I've had them on there since 2012 now and don't even notice them there but that little bit of extra protection for the outside of the hand/fingers is indeed good.

hotnail likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the silver lining in your story is it makes counting fractions easier now, right? #fractionalfingers :D

Can you and Melissa Paris make a pinkie swear? :D

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

She kept hers. I know because I bet her she would have to lose it and she won the bet. She's not a hand model, but she has it.

We looked into this and tried it on track after Hayden lost second place at Daytona when Cory Alexander ran into his clutch and killed his drive into the tri oval. I would consider running it at Daytona for that reason.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. If you want to save a bit of $ you can make your own in about 10 min if you just go and buy the Cycle Gear basic bark busters and own a hacksaw. Mine was rotated very slightly but still pretty much in place after a high speed tumbling getoff that sheared the subframe, bent both clip ons and flattened the tank. As far as I am concerned that shows me it is more than strong enough.
    lever guard.jpg

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Just the tip.... Lol

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Only 2 in the Pink...

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Does Cortez's woman still have a pinky? Possible he can't clamp hard enough anymore to do that kind of damage. :D

12. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

13. 418

418 Expert #59

I lost my fingernail and had ground top of my pinkie into a pulp at JGP couple years back, no clue if a hand guard would have helped but it couldn't have hurt either I'm sure.

Getting a needle driven into your pinkie for anesthetics had me screaming like a little bitch. Not a pleasant experience.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

15. Chip

Chip Registered

Jason P. and Scotty87 like this.
  16. Chip

Chip Registered

Why not just use an old piece of rebar? Maybe some 2x4 from the deck referb? Lol....

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why am I singing the theme for Cletus the slack jawed yokel after seeing Chip's post? :D

Some folks'll never eat a skunk
    But then again, some folks'll
    Like Chipster, the slack-jawed yokel
    Most folks'll never lose a finger
    But then again, some folks'll
    Like Chipster, the slack-jawed yokel

18. 418

418 Expert #59

Chip, purely out of curiosity what gloves were you wearing?

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Because the rebar and 2x4 do not come with all the necessary hardware to attach them to the end of the bar.:moon:
    Besides, I am cheap and don't see any reason to spend up to $300 a side for the hi zoot pretty lever guards when I can get the same protection for $20 a side. Function before form!
    Jeeze, some people lose part of a finger and get all pissy...

DWhyte91 likes this.
  20. Chip

Chip Registered

Alpinestars GP Pro's

[​IMG]

418 likes this.