1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting a home address

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Oct 7, 2019.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I'll try and thumbnail this as best I can. As I have mentioned before, I am a medicolegal consultant. I assist in identifying, reviewing and prosecuting fraud, along with doing peer review. I testify in court regarding professional standards and medical coding issues. Basically policing my profession.

I only have a home office. My vendors/clients send me work via secure web portals, or even mail over records. For professional purposes and "optics", I don't (think) i want a PO box.

I have an unhinged health care provider in a neighboring state that is really going too far after he came under review. Contacting me directly, emailing and mailing letters, subpoenas for my CV and tax records, etc. I have accumulated the content and sent it to his state licensing board for disciplinary action along with a copy for my attorney.

But it got me thinking. What if this happens with someone a bit closer? My address is on three different websites and my letterhead/cards. I am 99% sure it will never result in physical harm, but I have had colleagues have their cars keyed, screws in the driveway and clinic parking lots, etc.

What are some options regarding keeping a professional appearance (and that is paramount to have a professional appearance and not some fly by night company) and protection/barriers by having a home office? I know PO Box, but I just dont like the looks of that unless that is the only viable option. Anything else possible that I am not aware of?

2. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Many of the larger office parks have shared work spaces, that are often quite reasonable. Local ones have for around $150-250 a month; a proper office address, mail delivery, a front office desk receptionist to forward messages to your voicemail, and conference room usage. Would look good for ‘optics’, if you’re concerned about that.

Realistically though, if someone is determined enough and getting lawyers involved, you’d be hard pressed to truly keep your home address as unobtainable. Chances are, any of the fee based person searches will pull it up off of public records. You just have to balance, how difficult do you want to make it.

tophyr, Funkm05, Phl218 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You want a PO box

ducnut, Phl218, DrA5 and 2 others like this.
  4. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

UPS store or similar, I have a home office but my listed business address is my UPS store box. 2123 Old Spartanburg Rd #302. It isn't a PO so no need to worry about it looking like that, plus they will sign and hold any packages. I think it is less than 300 a year.

ducnut and DrA5 like this.
  5. DrA5

After you noted this, I do recall this outlined in a UPS commerical. I would have to have everything then forwarded from them to my house as the nearest one is nearly 45 mins away and I can't do that drive every day or even every other day. And for the most part, I would need to get mail every day. I'll see if they offer that option.

I should have noted in my OP that I am very remote and rural. So even going to a shared office is not feasible.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep. PO Box no question. Scrub your personal address Doc.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

90 min drive every day is nothing. Get rid of your home address.

beac83 likes this.
  8. DrA5

Been doing this since 1995 and this is the first time it ever went this far. So it's not a very common threat in the least. The worst so far had just been angry phone calls during re-reviews. Just got me thinking.

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you own your property, it would not be hard at all for someone to track your address down through public tax records even if you use a PO Box. It is just the way it is these days.

YamahaRick and DrA5 like this.
  10. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Get a PO Box and transfer your home/car into a trust. That removes all current public records eventually. You still have to have an address on your drivers license and purchasing that info from the DMV is generally not difficult. Have you filed a police report? Maybe go talk to your local sheriff for some additional ideas?

11. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

What's his address Doc ?

DrA5 likes this.
  12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You can still get a PO Box. Just use the street address of the post office and put # 123. I’ve done plenty of times. You can do this to get around PO Box delivery restrictions as well.

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Dude ... all WI property tax records are visible online. You’re wasting your time if you think you can hide on the grid.

14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You can hide the property behind shell companies. It’d have administrative costs and negative tax implications most likely, but it’s possible. Probably not helpful though because he already has it in his name.

You can’t stop somebody who really wants to fuck with you from doing so. You can make it a bit harder for casual or impulsive crazies.

YamahaRick likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

what’s my current address? Garth Cloyd

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Regus virtual office. $69 bucks a month.

17. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Are you an LLC? If so you probably have a registered agent. Use them for your mailing address. Or you could try a virtual office space to have as your mailing address.

18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Define this casual crazy. o_O

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Some mid- level brothel, smack dab in the middle of a corn field in Iowa. What'd I win? :clap:

20. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

Are you an old as dirt 53 year old?! :D