1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposed Rule Change for 350GP EXCEPT FOR VMD

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by videojack, May 6, 2019.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Interesting......why would you propose flat-slides Jack?.....Do you mean the Mikuni VM series roundslides?

For the most part, I kinda agree with Doug.

I'll state my case again, that the old V1 rules be allowed in 500GP.

Also, I cant think of any Sportsman / Formula racers that would build a stock engine, Mikunis or not, and go racing in a "Unicorn" class such as the wera honda 350 350gp class.

I believe that configuration, with essentially NO direct cross-over class, is eating itself.

Just build a Sportsman / Formula / V1 bike and go racing whenever you want to......Grids seem to be steady. Not as many as they used to be, but better than 1 bike. Step up or step away.....this "half-way-baby-steps" to a real racebike doesnt seem to be working out.

83BSA likes this.
  2. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

I just checked all my entries on this topic and believe I have already answered this question on many facets.

3. CharlieY

Because they were $44.....not realizing they are a big jump past the standard mikuni's used elsewhere?.....hopefully it was that, and not REALLY trying to run flatslides on a stock motor??....cuz I dont think flatslides were even legal in V1.....anyone confirm?

Anyhow, good luck with it Jack. Your intentions are true to your passion and the class, I don't think anyone can argue that.

I say we should ALL come together on a couple CB350 sets of rules, and be done.....kum-by-ya.

Truth be told, there are alot more V1 / Sportsman / Formula bikes racing than the wera 350GP honda 350's.....there just is.

I'm not for making small steps from the stocker's to V1.....I'm saying just do it and be done.

I hope I'm not a stick in the mud Jack.

4. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Don’t understand Jack logic ever.....I want to change rules .... because I can buy some cheap flat side carbs or Because I keep getting lap by kids on fast modern bikes ??????.... or ??????

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Quit being an ass Doug.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

A leopard cannot change it's spots.

james walker likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True but I don't think Doug realizes how he comes across a lot of the times, it's not intentional like it is with me :D

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Flat slides are not legal in V1, or Sportsman. I think period flat slides, i.e., Gardners or Lectrons, are legal in 500 Premier, and perhaps, although I'm not sure, Classic 60's. Flat slides are not legal on SV 650's conforming to SS rules; flat sides on an SV 650 = superbike configuration. Hence, whether and to what extent and in what application flat slides may or may not be used opens a 55 gallon can of worms.

And, I don't think Jack realizes it, but most flat slides also have a pumper mechanism. That will be a function of the particular carb. If he is ok with not allowing pumpers, which other organizations (AHRMA, PPIHC, etc) do not allow on vintage bikes, then he may be eliminating the very carb he seeks to use. Again, it is a function of the particular carb.

I don't have a CB350, and I don't race V1. I do, however, race 500GP.

I have period flat slides (Gardners), but I have never proposed a rule change based upon what equipment I may have available. Rule changes need to make sense for the particular class and the type of machinery in the class at issue.

To me, it makes little or no sense to add flat slides to V1 or 350GP or 500GP as an available carb. See above and the 55 gallon drum of worms being opened. I don't know, nor do I care to have recounted here, the history of CV carbs on particular Honda CB350's vs. round slides on other Honda CB350's. It would seem simplest, and in line with AHRMA and perhaps CCS vintage, to make all CB350's round slide carbs, i.e., Mikuni's Amals, Dellortos (with pumper mechanism disconnected).

Enough. It is after 5 PM, and I hear a Martini calling my name . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

9. CharlieY

:crackup: Mongo is correct that Doug has no filter, No nice meter......but sadly, Doug is usually correct or near it.:rolleyes: .....unfortunate sometimes, but true.

I believe Doug is onto something with the $44 flatslides and Jacks proposal.....just a hunch.....like Dave says, no real technical merit, just a cheap set of carbs is probably driving things here.

10. joec

joec brace yourself

With Dave on this one. A bigger carb isn't going to solve your lap times. T

v3 guys weren't always happy with us, and I'm pretty sure if we had stepped up to wreak havock in sportsman, those guys wouldn't have been either. But getting lapped was never an issue with me. Just part of the game.

james walker likes this.
  11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

AHRMA don't allow flat slides or Lectrons in any of their vintage classes, nor do they allow smoothbores with a concentric float bowl, although the rulebook does state that period carburettors are encouraged so it could be construed that a Gardner is eligible.

The WERA rulebook says this:

"Engine: Aspiration will be natural. Make and model of carburetor is unrestricted provided that the design and operating principle was in use prior to the cutoff date." A lot more leeway there.

I used to run a MKII Amal smoothbore for WERA races and switch to a standard MKII concentric for AHRMA races.

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I know the Hall boys run a Gardner flat slide on their Goldstar 500, and have survived a protest by Alex McLean on that point. So, it must be the "period" exception to the general ban rule. I plan to put a Gardner on my Goldie once I get it back to racing condition, which should be end of June for Ron Raven's Competition d'Concours event.

Cheers,

Dave

13. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Good luck ......

14. CharlieY

Just for context.......you lost me at flatslides.

So, why would you not propose roundslide / smoothbore VM28's?....stock 350 venturi size is 28, right?....or maybe go for 30's?

I believe the proposal was turned down for LWP.

I've run them. they arent much help, except throttle response like Joe mentioned....and the maintainability is better.

These would also keep your stockers legal for ahrma sportsman.

Its still creeping to V1....but its not going past V1 or sportsman, like flatslides would.

No dog in the hunt here, just info.